oahumiev

Re: Sun Shade.

Tue May 29, 2012 6:05 pm

I just picked up the same Super Jumbo 2 piece sun shade at Walmart. They have 2 types, the reflective silver and the non-reflective silver, is one better than the other? I'm noticing a bit of heat on the backside of the non-reflective one. Wee John, seems like you got the non-reflective one as well.

Wee John

Thu May 31, 2012 6:35 am

oahumiev wrote:They have 2 types, the reflective silver and the non-reflective silver, is one better than the other? I'm noticing a bit of heat on the backside of the non-reflective one. Wee John, seems like you got the non-reflective one as well.

I don't like the look and feel of the reflective silver, all of my shades have been the matt silver, I am sure that you will feel excess heat on the back of any shade but the difference it makes to the interior temperature of the car is noticeable.

archie_b
Site Moderator

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:59 pm

For the last two weeks temperatures in Wisconsin have been mostly sunny and between 90 and 104 degrees. VERY unusual for this area.

During this time I started using my CA Pop Top sun shades every day. Having 3 cars and a single garage means two cars are out in the sun all day. The difference in interior temperature when using the CA Pop Top versus having all four windows cracked was HUGE. The advantage of this type of sun shade is that it covers all window glass and the entire top of the car. The interior (including seats, dash, steering wheel, etc) stays significantly cooler making it easier for the A/C to cool the car.

I highly recommend these sun shades no matter what type of car or truck you own. The web address is http://www.capoptop.com, the phone #is 661-257-7830 (ask for John) and they are located in Valencia, CA.

MLucas

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Great idea. I have a black I and this would work out during these heat waves. Do they have a size for the I or are they universal?

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

archie_b
Site Moderator

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm

There is currently not a custom size for the i, no demand as of now. The pop tops come in a variety of sizes. I would contact John and he can help you pick the correct size. Takes about 2 mintues to install once you done it a few times.

acensor

Sun shade source/ ideas for our huge windshields?

Sun May 26, 2013 7:51 am

With summer gently coming on here in central southern Oregon it is deceptively mild for now, but I know, unlike chronically overcast Seattle and the coast, we're going to get into some days peaking at 80 to even 100 degrees Fahrenheit with clear sunny skies.

None of the auto parts of big box stores have windscreen sunshades tall enough.
Our windshield is 33 x 50 inches.

Any sources or ideas?
(Wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi has a custom sized one for a mere $195. :roll: )

Edit added:
Just goggled "jumbo car window shades" and found several big enough. :oops:

Alex
Last edited by acensor on Sun May 26, 2013 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV plus hydro
2001 Subaru Forester L
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

BillThompsonMIEV

Re: Sun shade source/ ideas for our huge windshields?

Sun May 26, 2013 7:59 am

I went to the parts department at my dealer. They ordered one for me for $30.00. Delivery took one week.

Don
Site Moderator

Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 am

We use a $15 reflective silver pair of them that we bought at WalMart for another car. Each panel is 28 by 31 inches and they store in about a 12 inch circle in the pocket behind the seats. In our Mazda, they were used horizontally (wide sides parallel to the ground) but in the iMiEV, they fit the other way, since our windshield it taller than it is wide

They're an absolute necessity down here for 6 or 7 months each year - The passive solar collector Mitsu calls a windshield can heat the interior of the car to seemingly astronomical temps in just a few minutes. Using the sun shades and leaving the front windows cracked an inch or so really makes a huge difference

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

acensor

Sun May 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Don wrote:We use a $15 reflective silver pair of them that we bought at WalMart for another car. Each panel is 28 by 31 inches and they store in about a 12 inch circle in the pocket behind the seats. In our Mazda, they were used horizontally (wide sides parallel to the ground) but in the iMiEV, they fit the other way, since our windshield it taller than it is wide
Don

Thanks. Picked up the same ones today.
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV plus hydro
2001 Subaru Forester L
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 am

For less than $10 at the local hardware store I picked up this silver foam-sandwich insulating material (comes in 48" width, any length) and a couple of minutes with a pair of scissors gave me a custom cover. The old lightweight bungie helps hold it down when it's windy. I prefer the external one vs. trying to stuff it into the window inside. Rolls up tightly and sits on the floor behind the seats (I normally keep my back seats down).
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”