Taking an i for an i.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

Well folks, I just couldn't stand all the great deals that you latecomers have been grabbing, and since my only regret about the I-MiEV is not having one with CHAdeMO, I traded mine in today! :eek:
(besides, it needed new front tires before winter) ;)
Yep, my original dealer had one of the last cars on a lot in Western Washington, and we made a trade, sending my silver 2012 ES with 21648 miles to the used lot, and taking home a 2012 black SE with the premium package. The financing can be described from many angles, but I was able to roll over the old 3% loan into a new 0.0% loan that made my out-of pocket net capital outlay for the last 17 months and 21648 miles a grand total of $304.25 (after the tax credit on my first car). Of course the trade was less than I would have preferred, and Mitsu refuses to extend their $500 Owner Loyalty Bonus to I-MiEV and Mirage trade-ins, but that's my only regret (oh yeah, and a black interior would look better in the black car than that chocolate brown). :roll:
In essence, I'm starting over with a car built in May 2012 (7 months younger than the silver ES), and over the new car's first 12 months of service, Mitsu and Uncle Sam will pay a net $616 for me to drive. Cash flow becomes more conventional in year 2 and I'm already upside down on the books, but when this new loan is retired in 5 years, I will have averaged paying out less than $400 per month for car(s) that have been saving $170 per month in gas compared to the 30 mpg Civic they replaced, so that makes no more than $230 per month in average net cost until the loan is retired. With CHAdeMO, I expect to rack up miles at an even faster rate, as a quick charge station is going in next to my wife's clinic, and just yesterday I took a gas-fueled 82 mile trip that would've been a cinch on CHAdeMO, while the I-MiEV ES sat recharging after my wife's commute. As posted previously, I would've gladly paid to have CHAdeMO installed aftermarket, and just about attempted it, but decided on this deal instead.

So if there's anyone out there who can't claim the tax credit and doesn't want a lease, but is looking for a deal on a used car, send a PM my way, and I won't hesitate to provide intel to aid in the transaction. Sorry I couldn't wait to try and sell it to a private party for the trade-in value. (Though if the cash was handy, I'd have preferred to transplant the battery into my Karmann Ghia and mothball the silver car!)

Congratulations! - Should be "Trading an I for an I"

If "the cash was handy" you probably should have kept both cars . . . . it sounds like they both would have got plenty of use. I'm guessing they gave you something less than $10K for it on a trade-in?

Don

Wow, Jay, that is a drastic step just to obtain CHAdeMO! Congratulations, I think! :roll:
Now, for some innovative reflective wraps for the car (especially that expanse of black roof) for the (rare) occasions the sun hits it... :lol:
Have you noticed any functional differences between the two cars? I don't suppose you were able to get the dealer to perform a battery capacity check before taking delivery? Do let us know about your first CHAdeMO experience.

"......had one of the last cars on a lot in Western Washington, and we made a trade, sending my silver 2012 ES with 21648 miles to the used lot, and taking home a 2012 black SE with the premium package...."

Bet That was one I looked at when shopping for my EV early in April.
Ruled it out when dealer down south in San Rafael was like about $3000 IIRR lower priced even with shipping... And the one from down south we got is white ... And in Ashland Oregon we get more sunny days that where I infer you are so white trumped giving up the premium pack.

Hope you like the bells and whistles of the premium pack.

Damn you jray!!! You bought the car out from under me! :p

I know you are talking about the dealership in Auburn and I test drove that Car on Friday, went camping, and came back to buy it on Monday morning. They told me it was sold late Sunday night and tried to sell me your used silver one. Anyways I am having the same package same color shipped up from Eugene and it only cost me a few hundred more. Glad it looks like the car went to someone who will appreciate it and I hope the one being shipped up from Eugene drives the same as that one does.

Look like to get a good deal, the Miev just been shipped one state up. For example, Alex had his ship from CA to OR. Matthew had his shipped from OR to WA.

For me in CA, my second Miev is probably has to be shipped up from Mexico then....

Matthewsre said:
Damn you jray!!! You bought the car out from under me! :p

I know you are talking about the dealership in Auburn and I test drove that Car on Friday, went camping, and came back to buy it on Monday morning. They told me it was sold late Sunday night and tried to sell me your used silver one. Anyways I am having the same package same color shipped up from Eugene and it only cost me a few hundred more. Glad it looks like the car went to someone who will appreciate it and I hope the one being shipped up from Eugene drives the same as that one does.

I could set you up with a dealership that was going to ship me one from Utah and give you the details of the deal I was going to have and maybe try to pass it along. I could have gotten it cheaper from Utah but didn't want to deal with the shipping myself and had a dealer close to me handle shipping one up (thread: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1583).

Just PM me if you want details.

Sorry for the silence, and especially for you, Matthew! I didn't get a straight story from my salesman vs his manager on that 'straw buyer' from Oregon, so didn't know if you were for real. :twisted:

We didn't wind up taking delivery until this morning, as there was a scratch down through color on the hood, so I had 'em respray that panel. I'm happy with the deal we got, and would be even happier to equip a used ES buyer with valuable intel. :cool:

Well, why not spill the beans. We only got $12k on trade, but given the 'half price' sale on an SE plus a little haggling and a refi from 2.99% to 0%, I won't complain. Per mile net ownership and operation cost for the ES cost during it's short 17 months of service came in at less than the federal mileage rate (which was a business tax deduction).

Don, it don't feel faster with the lightweight wheels, and doesn't seem to hold a straight line as well, but that's probably 'cause my ES had 80% less tire tread and as usual, the dealer set the tires at 32 psi. One surprise on the SE was that is seems to have low-e glass, with a bit of a brownish tint? (Or maybe that's just a reflection off the luscious chocolate interior!) I was never able to get consistent results with my iPhone drag racing app due to the iMiEV's super-soft launch, so I'll just have to do some heads-up racing with my buddy LeeC who has an SE.

I actually live in the Seattle area, but they were also telling me about this "Oregon buyer". The funny thing is after you bought that I ended up getting one shipped up from Eugene, Oregon for almost the same deal I had setup with Auburn for the same color/package. So why would someone from Oregon come up here if the same car was sitting in Eugene? I have a hunch that no matter what car you get there they mention the mystery buyer that is coming up from Oregon :p When talking price with them there was definitely a lot of sitting while they waited for "approvals from the owner", etc. so I wouldn't be surprised if this is just one of their tactics.

Also congrats on the Deal, sounds like getting a reset on the odometer and upgraded package mixed in with the current incentives/financing was a pretty nice move.

jray3 said:
Well, why not spill the beans. We only got $12k on trade . . . .
I think you did *very* well getting $12K - I'm actually surprised. I would have guessed something less than $10K

When you consider sticker on a new ES is less than $30K and then subtract Mitsu's current offering of $10K plus the $7500 government credit, some folks have actually bought a brand new one in the $12.5K to $13K out of pocket range and I don't see how they could get more than that for your used one with 22K on it when they sell it - They may be doing very well just to get their $12K back

As it turns out, you basically got a 'do-over' pretty much for free, which is always a good thing!

Don

Thanks all, and Matthewsre, I'd encourage you to come on down to Puyallup this weekend, where there will be at least ten EVs on display at the Mother Earth News Fair from the Seattle and Tacoma EV Associations. Ben of 300mpg.org will also be there. We'll have a Tesla Model S, a Tesla Roadster, a Leaf, an i-MiEv, a maxi-scooter, and conversions including a SuperBeetle, my Karmann Ghia, an F250 Pickup, plus a bicycle-driven genset and a vintage Cushman three-wheeled plant maintenance scooter.

Yeah, car deals are still quite a time warp. Supposedly they placed three 'calls to the owner' on Sunday evening during our negotiations. On the trade, I kept emphasizing that they can sell to a seasoned citizen who can't claim the tax credit, wants a maintenance-free safe car for local driving with a tall seating position, simple controls, and Depression-era operating costs! I also recommended that they look at sending it to Colorado, where a used EV is eligible for tax credits. However, the secret weapon was my poker-faced Chinese wife who was willing to ham it up and let the kids run wild in the showroom (after eating takeout on their coffee table) while she came over to the desk to glance over the numbers and say "No- we go now!"..

:twisted:

Good move on your up grade and negotiating.
I m looking forward to having fast chargers available in our area so I can be more adventurous

Noticed this response a bit too late, unfortunately mine is still sitting in Oregon some problem with the transportation company that was supposed to have already picked it up :(

I like your strategy, I had my Japanese girlfriend with me urging me to walk away when they wouldn't give me the numbers I wanted :p They kept making "owner phone calls" with us too.

Getting one used is still a great deal for someone that can't get the full tax credit (I could be wrong but my understanding is you can only get up to what you are supposed to pay in taxes back). Not dealing with the incentive but getting the price can be a good deal to some people.

They tried to sell me the silver one for 16k, I didn't even bother talking to them anymore about it when they offered me the same I would have netted for a brand new one after the rebate with a premium package!

Back