$10,000 off MSRP "rebate" available on remaining 2012's

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being retired, on our list of things to do is to make like tourists on the entire East Coast of the US, spending maybe a couple of months wandering about and visiting all the places we've read about (e.g., I've never been to the Smithsonian). For that we'd need a car...

Hypothetically, what if we were to buy another iMiEV on the East Coast, taking advantage of the $10K Mitsu rebate to dealerships (and then some)?

I'm quite comfortable taking my time, and in looking at a few charging station sites (e.g., PlugShare and Recargo) it looks as though the availability of campgrounds and charging stations should allow for easy recharging using L2 when one has no particular schedule. Besides, I'd get one with CHAdeMO this time around, and I see L3 is beginning to proliferate.

I have a friend in Virginia who would happily store (and have free use of) the car for a few months until we got there... and afterwards until we went out there again for more touristing before bringing the car back to California. I would fly out there, pick up the car, and drop it off with him. The Mitsu dealers closest to him are not dealing...

I randomly tried TrueCar.com but they require a ZIP code and the few I tried indeed showed a very low price listed for a brand new iMiEV in NJ and DE, but they fell through when I tried to follow-up ("this car no longer available").

Anyone have any recommendations for particularly good deals on the Eastern seaboard and the most financially attractive states to purchase in (I'm also confused on how to register it)?

Truecar.com just try to capture your info to sell to dealers. You can never buy car for the price listed online.

You might want to try this dealer.

http://www.obrienteamnormal.com

They have 15 iMiev in stock.

They have to move these some how.

camiev, thank you for the lead (and I have friends in nearby Ohio who could keep the car for me). I called up the dealer but unfortunately they didn't have a white ES with a CHAdeMO port. The price for a stripped white SE w/o CHAdeMO was certainly attractive compared to a few months ago, but I'm really bargain hunting. It will be interesting to see what the sales figures will be for the iMiEV in the month of April.

If you can wait a few more months, it will be better. The market, especially in CA will be flooded with these compliance cars:

•Chevrolet Spark EV
•Fiat 500 Elettrica
•Ford Focus Electric
•Honda Fit EV (already for lease)
•Toyota RAV4 EV (already on market with 10K off)

camiev said:
If you can wait a few more months, it will be better. The market, especially in CA will be flooded ...]/quote]

Yeah,
But on the other hand It's also possible that the present possibility of picking up a really nice EV for $14,000 after tax very well , as one of our members said, turn out to a kick yourself missed this opportunity moment.

BTW, Fit EV is only available at a very small number of West Coast Dealers and ONLY on lease. Don't forget what happened to that EV-1 GM owners who were on leases.

[Edited 30 April to correct last line.]

Alex

acensor said:
Don't forget what happened to that EP one owners who were on leases.
I think you meant GM's EV1? Every EV driver should know what happened to those vehicles. :evil:

Required reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ev1

JoeS said:
camiev, thank you for the lead (and I have friends in nearby Ohio who could keep the car for me). I called up the dealer but unfortunately they didn't have a white ES with a CHAdeMO port. The price for a stripped white SE w/o CHAdeMO was certainly attractive compared to a few months ago, but I'm really bargain hunting. It will be interesting to see what the sales figures will be for the iMiEV in the month of April.

Joe, how much did they offer the SE for? Did you find your ES model yet?

camiev said:
Joe, how much did they offer the SE for? Did you find your ES model yet?
The only ES with CHAdeMO that was offered me had 900 miles on it, was not white, and had been through a midwest winter, and I didn't pursue it. There is a great disparity between what some car referral sites cite what is available and for what price and what the dealer says they have or are willing to sell for. The supply nationwide seems to be drying up. I gave up.

United States: a discount of $ 10,000 on the Mitsubishi i-MiEV, May 13, 2013 | By Raphael | In Electric Car |
http://www.automobile-propre.com/breves/etats-unis-une-remise-de-10-000-sur-la-mitsubishi-i-miev/?utm_source=Automobile+Propre+-+l%27Hebdo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bdfc83350a-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_term=0_0b65bbceb8-bdfc83350a-415062513

Anxious to revive rather average sales of electric i-MiEV, Mitsubishi launched a major promotional campaign until the end of July.

With 588 sales in the United States throughout the last year, the i-MiEV was far reaching heights. Mitsubishi has yet believed in a well-off earlier this year, as sales in the month of February alone amounted to 594 copies. This certainly explained by offering very interesting leasing from $ 69 per month proposed at this time. Since the numbers have again decreased significantly with only 31 copies were sold in March and 127 in April.

Mitsubishi is launching this great promotion operation which lowers the price below $ 20, 000, not counting the help government of $ 7 500! To note that this offer had already been launched in late April.

Anyone have any info on how many MiEVs remain in dealer inventory in the USA?
Last number I remember was about 120 ... but won't swear that... and couldn't find what my source was for that number.

Also, anyone know of any on the west coast? Have a friend interested.
He can of course go through the cumbersome process or going to the Mistubishi site, and Zip y Zip locate all the official MiEV dealers then search their inventories or phone them.... but if offhand anyone know some that'd give him a head start.

Alex

We bought ours at Tom Masano Mitsubishi, and they list a couple here:

http://www.tommasanomitsubishi.com/new-car-inventory.aspx

at basically the $10k off. The SE also has the quick charge. What's annoying is that it's not clear if the price is after the $7500 (and $3000 PA) rebate, if it is, (and you're a PA resident) you can get 10.5K off the already low $20K price ... I've actually thought about grabbing one of these myself since we love ours so much ... but it just wasn't going to happen soon. But, at just $10k out of pocket ... hmm, might be worth it.

Got ours on Thursday! Wonder if they have extended the offer to June or not.

We're happy with it!

Quercus said:
Got ours on Thursday! Wonder if they have extended the offer to June or not.

We're happy with it!

Looks like it goes until the end of July:
http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/mitsubishi-brings-back-10000-rebate-on-i-miev/

Apparently, and understandably, the $10,000 "dealer incentive", now extended through July, which most dealers WILL pass thought to the customer. applies only to the remaining stock of 2012 I-cars.
The 2013's (see other topic here) are actually on order and coming into the states but, although buyers can undoubtedly bargain down from MSRP, there isn't going to be that $10K discount in the forseeable future on the newer cars.

We chose not to negotiate down from how the car was priced. $12,495 (after tax credit, which we should be able to take) was excellent. I didn't feel the need to knock it down from "invoice."

Quercus said:
We chose not to negotiate down from how the car was priced. $12,495 (after tax credit, which we should be able to take) was excellent. I didn't feel the need to knock it down from "invoice."

Understood. I was talking about folks who might want to buy the 2013 MiEV which will be priced nowhere near the price you were stated.

I am not really confident that there will be a 2013 I-Miev in the United States. I don't see how Mitsubishi can possibly continue to build a special car, different from what they sell in the rest of the world just for our limited market. I am currently leasing a SE on the $99/no down two year lease. However, at the end of the term, the residual is over $23K. I talked to Ally about this and they said they never, ever will adjust the residual. They just go to the auction. Seems stupid but I guess anybody who leased anything would be asking for a discount. So, even though I am also leasing a 2013 Nissan LEAF, I am picking up a cool silver I-Miev SE I just purchased from the local dealer tomorrow morning. I couldn't get the dealer down as low as some as you have--pretty basic with only the USB adapter and wheel locks. $14,205 plus tax, and paperwork fee was as low as he would go. So, the new I-miev will basically get parked and used once in a while as I drive the wheels off the leased car. When the two year old I-Miev's start showing up at the auctions with 24K on the odometer--they will be competing with GEM's and golf cart pricing. BTW--the car was built in April of 2012 and has been sitting fully charged on the lot since then. I told them, as part of the sale that I need the one year battery test completed before I sign the check. It should be interesting to find out what over a year of sitting did to the pack.

"It should be interesting to find out what over a year of sitting did to the pack."

For sure. Seem like a great idea to make that a condition of the sale.
Would love it if you report back with the test results.

Sorry I didn't think of it. Many of us purchased MiEV's that had sat on dealer lots for a year or more. Offhand, I doubt it sat on the lot fully charged. Not clear which would be worse sitting fully charge (which is to say about 90%) or sitting fully discharged. Probably the latter.

Also interesting if it doesn't "pass" the battery test would Mitsubishi consider that covered under warrenty?

BTW: I do believe there will be SOME 2013s delivered to dealers in the USA. Since Mitsubishi has already eaten the costs of configuring and producing USA models, don't think they have much to lose by continuing to sell a few here, unless dealers rebel against paying to have slow moving inventory on their lots.

My wife and I just took advantage of these ridiculously generous dealer incentives this past Monday. Our 2012 Mitsu i should be delivered this evening. There were no i-MiEVs available anywhere in the Chicagoland area. My wife found a few dealerships in southern Illinois that had them in stock. We contacted our local dealership, and they were able to arrange a 2012 i-MiEV SE with premium package to be shipped up here. The local dealership honored the other dealership's incentives and gave us a great price. Much like another member had posted, we didn't even haggle over the original price that was quoted to us. It was perfectly fair and well under our budget. Plus, our local dealer went to a lot of effort to find and bring up our new i. I didn't feel comfortable trying to finagle a further reduction in the price.

I have my garage cleaned out and a L2 EVSE already set up and waiting for our new little coche. I really hope we can take delivery tonight. We originally thought we'd take delivery last night, but it was delayed another day. I don't know that I'd be able to handle the depression of waiting another day if it doesn't happen tonight. I may just rent a flatbed and go pick the darned thing up myself if needed!

RobbW said:
My wife and I just took advantage of these ridiculously generous dealer incentives this past Monday. Our 2012 Mitsu i should be delivered this evening. .........

Congrates,.The chance that you will ever regret purchasing is about the same as the chance that you'll win the Publishers' Clearinghouse Sweepstakes.

It's amazing to me how many people who are two-car owners and definitally don't need two cars with "unlimited range" even at THESE prices just can't get by the idea of the "limited range" of EVs and pass up these deals.

Two things (both of which there is plenty of material on this forum about) that you might want to discover/investigate:
# Before you rush out and try to get yourself a high speed level-2 charger($600 and up and up from there) to replace the wimpy slow level-1 120 volt stock charger, see what your pattern of use is and whether it will be of significant use to you to be able to do a full charge in 7 hours.
# If you find you would benefit from faster charging, (either at 120 volts or 240)
before you buy a second level 2 charger consider getting the stock charger upgraded at evseupgrade.com.

Many repost here on both those topics.

Alex

Back