heated seat

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The switch physically turns itself off . . . . or the heat quits functioning while the switch is still in the 'ON' position? Does the light go out when the heat ceases?

Could you be bumping the switch with your knee? It is in a less than well thought out location

Don

I've noticed this too. If you let the seat get piping hot and don't turn it off yourself, it will turn off automatically with the switch and the light still on. As soon as I notice that it has turned off I'll turn the switch off, wait about half a minute and turn it back on. That seems to get it going again.

Thanks everyone. I went for a much longer test ride and found that the seat heater would cycle on and off every 5min or so. I think its on a thermostat. The owners manual makes no mention.

jackhoe said:
Thanks everyone. I went for a much longer test ride and found that the seat heater would cycle on and off every 5min or so. I think its on a thermostat. The owners manual makes no mention.

I generally leave it on all the time, and find it cycles from warm to scalding and back again. Keeps me awake while driving. :D

If the switch is in an awkward place, its real easy to move it to one of the outside blank switch position by the drivers door. I moved mine and its now in a very visible location, no more guessing if it is on or not.

MLucas said:
jackhoe said:

I generally leave it on all the time, and find it cycles from warm to scalding and back again. Keeps me awake while driving. :D

If the switch is in an awkward place, its real easy to move it to one of the outside blank switch position by the drivers door. I moved mine and its now in a very visible location, no more guessing if it is on or not.

I switch it off and immediately on to keep it toasty

tonymil said:
I would love to move the switch, but how easy is "easy"?

It's real easy. Here's the basic steps (from memory - I'm at work and I didn't take pictures of the job (my bad)).

Remove the kick panel below the steering column that holds the heated seat switch. There are two screws, and a hi-karate pull and the panel will come out. If you don't know what a hi-karate pull is, its a basic technique to remove snap fastener panels. Hold the panel in both hands (after removing all visible screws of course) then say 'Hiayyyyy' to build up your chi then with a sudden burst yell 'Yahhh' and pull at the same time. The panel will release from its snap fasteners. :shock:

You'll need to separate the switch wires from its bundle. Using a sharp blade carefully remove the black electrical tape all the way to its entry behind the panel, about 12".
Don't cut any wires when doing this.

Popout one of the panels you choose to use on the left, there are two located in the 'filler' panel next to the door. I used the top panel. They are easilly removed by
pressing your fingers on the back of the panel. This is made easy now that the kick panel is removed.

Disconnect the plug from the heated seat switch. Pop out the heated seat switch and set it in the new position on the left. Use the blank switch panel, and put it back in the
old switch's position.

Now, plug in the heated seat switch and retape the wire bundles using black electrical tape.

Any questions, just PM me and I can get you some pictures if you need it. But, I think once you remove the kick panel - it will all be self explanatory. :D

Back