Hurricane Sandy...gasoline shortage

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjpod

Parts of NYC took a terrible hit. I came through it alright with my family, but there is utter devastation around me. Cars floated, homes washed away, floods where there never were before. Very limited cell phone service, massive prolonged power outages.

...and now the gas shortages. Few stations open, very long lines. I just waited an hour with gas cans to get six gallons...and I was happy to get it.

For two days, I couldn't charge the miev, but I wasn't exactly driving anywhere anyway. Now trying to get to work, and my power came back, so the pressure for gas is off a bit. Still need it to run generator for my business and friends still without power.

What a mess.

I can well imagine what you're going through up there - Our home of 30 years washed completely away when Katrina's 30 foot high wall of water swept through our neighborhood in August of 2005. Several newer homes which were constructed on pilings 8 or 10 feet above the ground washed away as well

Living on the Gulf Coast for more than 30 years, we've seen several major storms and you *think* you're prepared for just about anything . . . . until one of them takes away nearly everything you owned. Luckily we had very little loss of life as everyone down here knows what a mandatory evacuation is and why they issue them

We had people pushing their cars 2 or 3 miles along the breakdown lane of Interstate 10 on a 95 degree day to get to the only station that had gas - Luckily the line was moving at about a half mile per hour so nobody died of heatstroke!

The good news is . . . . things will eventually return to 'normal' - Not the old 'normal' you once knew, but there will come a time when it's all in the past. Hang in there!

Don

Our thoughts are with you all who have suffered from this storm.
Hard for some of us to imagine the vast destruction you have described.
Hope all gets back to normal for you soon.

We experienced a small local power failure (12)hrs & some downed tree,. 2 hours north of the NY Border.
Fortunately the I Miev was 80% charged and we had our backup generator ready.

Sandy - no relation to the storm.

Thanks for the encouraging words All!

It's BAD out here on Long Island as you have seen and heard.
We are hanging in there. We lost electric but it's back now. Thanks LIPA!!
I don't know what else to say, My heart goes out to ALL who are suffering.

I work for the Small Business Administration - Office of Disaster Assistance in the call center in Buffalo, NY. We are the place FEMA refers disaster victims to for a low interest loan. Since the hurricane hit, we have been in full force taking on and training new reservist to handle the phone calls that come in. Hopefully, everyone on this forum that lives in the affected areas came through relatively unscathed and won't be needing our assistance. However, if you do - know that there is help and assistance available with caring and compassionate people ready to help.

Some of the fiskers were at the port when it got swamped. The cars arc'd and burned. Glad you and your people are fine!

http://updates.jalopnik.com/post/34669789863/more-than-a-dozen-fisker-karma-hybrids-caught-fire-and

I'm in Albany but most of my family is on Long Island. Everyone is safe and fortunately none of their homes suffered damage, but they are all still waiting for power. It's turning into a long school break for my niece and nephews.

Back