Recall: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:SENSOR/CONTROL MODULE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjlink

Has anyone in the U.S. had the recall work done yet?

I can't seem to get our local dealer to even respond to a service appointment request.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=12V372000&summary=true&prod_id=1455778&PrintVersion=YES

Report Date : September 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V372000
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
MITSUBISHI / I-MIEV 2012
Manufacturer: MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: JUL 31, 2012
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V372000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:SENSOR/CONTROL MODULE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 261
Summary:
Mitsubishi is recalling certain model year 2012 i-MiEV vehicles manufactured between November 4, 2011, and December 22, 2011. Incompatibility between the air bag sensors and the self-diagnostic software may deactivate the frontal and side airbag system. Should this occur, the SRS warning lamp would illuminate to alert the driver.
Consequence:
The side and curtain air bags may not deploy in a crash for which those air bags were intended to deploy, increasing the risk of personal injury to the vehicle occupants.
Remedy:
Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the incompatible air bag sensors with new, compatible units, free of charge. Mitsubishi has not provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.
Notes:
This is Mitsubishi recall number SR-12-003. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

I got my notice about a month ago. Mitsubishi corporate called to help me set up an appointment with the dealer asap. She said she would call back with a time and guess what? She didn't call back.
Thanks, Mitsubishi!

Wee John said:
I got my notice about a month ago. Mitsubishi corporate called to help me set up an appointment with the dealer asap. She said she would call back with a time and guess what? She didn't call back.
Thanks, Mitsubishi!

I'm thinking maybe we should try Livermore Mitsubishi its not any farther away than San Jose from our home location.

Ok, The deal with the SRS Recall is that Mitsubishi will only send the required parts to the dealer you purchased the car from. Of course if the service department at that dealership were on the ball they would have ordered a few sets of the parts ahead of time. I just called and they are now going to order parts for my car. This dealership is farther away than another one in the general area. The closer one said call the national service number @ 800-380-2324 and tell them to send the parts to the closer dealership.

jjlink, did Mitsubishi contact you to let you know that your car was part of the recall? I was never contacted so thinking maybe my car was not part of recall, I took delivery of my vehicle on 12/12/11, maybe my miev was built before 11/4/11? I guess I could call Mitsubishi but would hope they would have contacted me first for a safety issue such as this.

oahumiev said:
jjlink, did Mitsubishi contact you to let you know that your car was part of the recall? I was never contacted so thinking maybe my car was not part of recall, I took delivery of my vehicle on 12/12/11, maybe my miev was built before 11/4/11? I guess I could call Mitsubishi but would hope they would have contacted me first for a safety issue such as this.

Yes, the sent out a letter by mail in August. The letter says for information give them a call @ 888-648-7820.

I just discovered this safety recall while browsing http://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...d-deployment-due-to-impact-sensor)-also-iMiev and noticed some of our i-MiEV owners (as well as the Mirage owners) will be affected by this recall. Was anyone aware of this? Has anyone received any Service Campaign Information (similar to the MCU recall)? I already checked the Mitsubishi Owners website and the NHTSA website but my VIN/vehicle is not affected, yet.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...ke=MITSUBISHI&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1455778

MANUFACTURER:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

SUMMARY:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (Mitsubishi) is recalling certain model year 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage vehicles manufactured July 27, 2013, to November 20, 2013, and 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV vehicles manufactured October 28, 2011, to September 7, 2012. Due to an increased resistance in the impact sensor for the air bag system, in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the frontal, side and/or curtain air bags when the SRS warning is illuminated, the frontal air bag may have a delayed deployment and/or the side and curtian air bag may not deploy at all.

CONSEQUENCE:
In the event of a crash, an air bag that does not deploy or deploys late, increases the risk of occupant injury.

REMEDY:
Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected impact sensors, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Mitsubishi customer service at 1-888-648-7820. Mitsubishi's number for this recall is SR-15-011.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

Thanks,
Dave

Neither of my cars are yet showing this recall.

My left front impact sensor was changed out in summer of 2013 due to incompatibility (the original recall symptoms, but my car wasn't part of the recall). I wonder if that will have anything to do with the latest.

Well its official, the air bag impact sensor recall is now showing up on my Mitsubishi Owners website for my VIN. Here it is as follows and I expect a letter in the mail pretty soon.

Search Results for VIN: JA3215H13CU020755
Vehicle:2012 i-MiEV - ELECTRIC
Safety Recalls
Mitsubishi
Campaign # NHTSA Recall
Number Recall Date Recall Description Repair Description Safety Risk Description Status
SR-15-011 15V-594 Oct 05, 2015 DUE TO AN INCREASED RESISTANCE IN THE IMPACT SENSOR FOR THE AIR BAG SYSTEM, IN THE EVENT OF A CRACH NECESSITATION DEPLOYMENT OF THE FRONTAL, SIDE AND/OR CURTAIN AIR BAGS WHEN THE SRS WARNING LIGHT IS ILLUMIATED, THE FRONTAL AIR BAG MAY HAVE A DELAYED DEPLOYMENT AND/OR THE SIDE AND CURTAIN AIR BAG MAY NOT DEPLOY AT ALL. MITSUBISHI DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AFFECTED IMPACT SENSORS, FREE OF CHARGE. N THE EVENT OF A CRASH, AN AIR BAG THAT DOES NOT DEPLOY OR DEPLOYS LATE, INCREASES THE RISK OF OCCUPANT INJURY. INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR AVAILABLE
*Results last updated: Wednesday Oct 28, 2015

davidricardo86 said:
Well its official, the air bag impact sensor recall is now showing up on my Mitsubishi Owners website for my VIN. Here it is as follows and I expect a letter in the mail pretty soon.

Search Results for VIN: JA3215H13CU0XXXXX
Vehicle:2012 i-MiEV - ELECTRIC
Safety Recalls
Mitsubishi
Campaign # NHTSA Recall
Number Recall Date Recall Description Repair Description Safety Risk Description Status
SR-15-011 15V-594 Oct 05, 2015 DUE TO AN INCREASED RESISTANCE IN THE IMPACT SENSOR FOR THE AIR BAG SYSTEM, IN THE EVENT OF A CRACH NECESSITATION DEPLOYMENT OF THE FRONTAL, SIDE AND/OR CURTAIN AIR BAGS WHEN THE SRS WARNING LIGHT IS ILLUMIATED, THE FRONTAL AIR BAG MAY HAVE A DELAYED DEPLOYMENT AND/OR THE SIDE AND CURTAIN AIR BAG MAY NOT DEPLOY AT ALL. MITSUBISHI DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AFFECTED IMPACT SENSORS, FREE OF CHARGE. N THE EVENT OF A CRASH, AN AIR BAG THAT DOES NOT DEPLOY OR DEPLOYS LATE, INCREASES THE RISK OF OCCUPANT INJURY. INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR AVAILABLE
*Results last updated: Wednesday Oct 28, 2015

Yes, I got the same results.

Mitsubishi
Campaign # NHTSA RecallNumber Date
SR-15-011 15V-594 Oct 05, 2015

It is on my Garage too :)
i think I will wait a little bit till the Mechanic does it on someone else car first

;)

I just received a phone call from my dealership saying that Eve is affected, so we've booked an appointment for Nov 12. I shall attempt to refrain from any derby-driving in the interim...

Eve. That's her name. Whenever I would ask her what her name was, the reply was "I-m iev"

Just received the recall notice for Mitsi, even though the first airbag sensor recall was performed back in 2012. The airbag light inexplicably turned on again a couple of months ago, so maybe this will now be a permanent fix.

Just got the letter for both cars yesterday. I already had a faulty impact sensor changed out on Bear. Oh well.

Just received the "Letter" also.
Does anyone know how many of these impact sensors are on the car and where are they located?
I had my dash board airbag light reset about a month ago at the dealer.

2011 european i-MiEV, the most famous here from outside north america, I suppose. No recall until now for that, neither for the MCU. No LEV50 with problems. Just the recall for the brake pump. A feel like the european 2011 i-MiEVS are the ones witch are giving less problems, only not have the same resistance to heat as those latter ones that already have the LEV50N, mine shows it very well.

Still love my LEV50. Just have to be sure that I´m in control of the temperature. Canion and the AC used for that. I have the power on my hands. My goal is to lose, at most, 1 Ah every year.

If you don´t have lizard ones, just avoid living in desert temperatures.

Back