Transmission Fluid Dipstick Thread; Thread # 10

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're pulling my leg . . . . right?

There is no 'automatic tansmission' dipstick because there is no automatic transmission at all. There is a sealed, fixed 7.065:1 reduction gearbox which connects the motor directly (and permanently) to the wheels. No shifting at all - No neutral, no reverse (you reverse the rotation of the motor to back up) and no maintenance . . . . well, maybe they'll drain and replace the oil after 100,000 miles
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=232

Don

The reason I began this thread begins at page 9-10 of the owner's manual, which states fluid capacities for the MIEV. Included on that page is transmission fluid type DIAMOND ATF SPIII. Plus in the warranty/maintenance PDF version at page 21 (PDF) and page 18 hard copy under regular maintenance schedule, the book calls for a check transmission oil level and condition every 12 months or 15,000 miles. To me that implies a "dipstick" to check. Obviously, there isn't such a dipstick, and I am guessing the gearbox is located in the electric motor room located at the rear of the MIEV. By the way, the owner's manual and maintenance manual never do call for a drain/replacement of the transmission fluid.

I suppose the very worst thing about EV's from a dealers perspective is that there's no maintenance to be done, so how can a dealer be expected to maintain a qualified staff of mechanics to 'service' what he's selling? - They really NEED some reason for you to bring these cars in to be 'serviced'

So, lets 'check' the trans fluid every 15K . . . . and hope they don't leave the plug loose

Don

TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE
123-ac901724ab00eng-transmission-oil-change.png

1.Remove the filler plug.
2.Remove the drain plug, and drain the oil.
3.Install a new gasket to the drain plug, and then tighten the plug to the specified torque.
Tightening torque: 32 ± 2 N·m
4.Fill the specified oil up to the bottom end of oil filler plug hole.
Brand name: Mitsubishi genuine Dia-Queen ATF SP III
Filling amount: 0.75 L
5.Install a new gasket to the filler plug, and then tighten the plug to the specified torque.
Tightening torque: 32 ± 2 N·m
122-ac700330ax00eng-transmission-oil-change.png

EDIT:
Quixotix said:
Here is a better picture of left side of the transmission.
tumblr_lzk632BV431rpf20u
This photo from Quixotix shows the drain plug.

Back