Interesting Web Site Post Number 6

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillThompsonMIEV

Hello out there. This Post # 6 for me. I stumbled across an interesting web site called http://www.afdc.energy.gov. In the tools tab you will find a vehicle cost calculator. The calculator allows you to truly compare apples to oranges fuel costs of ICE vehicles and electric vehicles. You can manipulate the miles driven per year between ordinary commuting miles and road trips. You can manipulate the cost per gallon of gasoline in your area. You can get the electricity cost in your area by entering your zip code. In my particular case, when I entered my zip code the cost per kilowatt hour was very close to actual cost per hour charged by our local utility here in San Antonio, TX (CPS Energy). The web site produced a result of 9.08 cents per kilowatt hour, while the actual kilowatt hour charge is currently about 9.8 cents per hour ( the CPS charge does vary by peak usage factor, and fuel costs), but the calculator is good enough. It gets you to over 90% accuracy on costs. You cannot manipulate the MPG or MPGe established jointly by the EPA and the DOE in the calculator. For example, the calculator is using 112MPGe for the MIEV. Bill Thompson

Bill,
Thanks for posting this link.
You are already many steps ahead of this.
Assuming you're not a complete leadfoot, it's close enough for you to use actual measured (not EPA-derated) average of 4miles/kWhr and $0.10/kWhr to yield 2.5¢/mile. Compare that to fuel cost of any other vehicle you want!
To ensure the lowest cost, be sure to only charge during off-peak times.
Simple.

Back