New Miev/ Towing

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpinewizard

Hi,
I've had my raspberry Miev SE for about two weeks, I really like it. I have the only one in central Texas.( not for long I hope!) I'm having some graphics put on soon, looking forward to that! I was wondering if the miev would be capable of towing an ultra light trailer, 4x6' or something similar, since it is so short in the hatch space area, there are thing you don't want inside your vehicle (recycling materials etc). . .just a thought.

Welcome aboard, mrpinewizard. Here's a cross posting, but check out some more of the discussion on 'let the hacking begin'.

I just got my 2" hitch receiver from Torklift Central. The thing is a beast- 42 lbs with all hardware included. I ordered it as raw steel and am going to do a lot of drilling to lighten it up, then they'll take it back for powdercoating. They also offer a 1 1/4" receiver, but it's mounted on the same heavy frame, so no significant weight savings. Both Torklift and a local respected welder refused to build one out of aluminum, they said that the aluminum is too soft and hardens as it flexes under load, and then it would break in dramatic fashion, rather than give some warning, as steel usually does (hmm, wonder how long it's been hanging from one side like that? ).

I also asked 'em about building a light duty steel hitch, but Class III is what they do, so it's up to me to remove weight at my own risk. And wouldn't ya know it, today I found a nice n compact 4kw RV takeout genset at my favorite salvage yard. Darn it, am gonna dream about that thing setting on a stinger out back, pumping 16 amps into the pack as i cruise the back roads.
Also picked up a Geo Metro catalytic converter to clean up the tailpipe.. :mrgreen:

jray3 said:
Darn it, am gonna dream about that thing setting on a stinger out back, pumping 16 amps into the pack as i cruise the back roads.

Don't be too sad, I'm pretty sure the i will not drive while it is plugged in.

I would think if you bought a small trailer built for a motorcycle your car would tow it fine. Not sure about a 4 X 6 as that's capable of holding several hundred pounds. Pretty sure Mitsu doesn't recommend it, but I think if you kept the total weight below 500 pounds or so, you'd not have any problem

Just the presence of a trailer hitch on the car though might void the warranty, so I'd make sure you could install it without drilling any holes and make it easily removable . . . . just in case

Good luck!

Don

Logandzwon said:
jray3 said:
Darn it, am gonna dream about that thing setting on a stinger out back, pumping 16 amps into the pack as i cruise the back roads.

Don't be too sad, I'm pretty sure the i will not drive while it is plugged in.

And it would look soo tacky to have the cable and handle sticking out the side of the car while underway. :lol:
But- a direct DC input that bypasses the charger (inputting at the charger output side) should do fine. This is similar to how I extend the range with my homebuilt EV.
(And that 500 lb trailer is only noticeable because of the rough ride provided by 8" tires... )
http://www.karmanneclectric.blogspot.com/2012/02/byov-build-yer-own-volt.html

This is the same technique used on plug-in Prii, and a full recharge afterwards balances the pack and resets the guess-o-meter.

Back