Brake light on whilst driving - vacuum pump

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luddite

Hi all,

Hoping everyone is keeping well/safe.

A couple of days ago whilst driving, the brake light came on. I was only making a short trip to the rapid charger so I ignored it. :oops:

A while later, the audible warning started to beep. By this time, I was having to push really hard on the pedal to get the car to stop. I parked up and charged the car no problems. When I restarted the car, there was no re-occurrence of the problem.

I checked online to see if the car needed any recalls. I know that there were previous recalls for the vacuum pump software and the vacuum pump itself and since buying the car (second hand) 3 years ago, I have not been in to get the passenger airbag recall.

I called up peugeot (as my car is an ion) and they confirmed that the car required the airbag recall. They also stated that the vacuum pump had been changed and the software updated so the only update needed was the passenger airbag. I had a look at the vacuum pump and it appears to be the "new" style one with the black exterior (model 4641A034).

This is the model which has recently been recalled in the US as "water may penetrate into the brake vacuum pump causing corrosion."

The climate here is generally damp and cold and the amount of corrosion underneath the car is ridiculous. A bit of plastic underneath the car would have been a cheap effective solution to stop all the water, mud, grit and salt from corroding everything. I wonder if UK/EU owners will get a second recall for the vacuum pump as I'm fairly convinced that is the problem especially considering that the software recall has apparently been done and US cars have a 2nd vacuum pump recall. Vacuum pump has also been rather noisy lately and canion states that power use goes up from 0.4Kw to 0.8Kw when the pump is active.

My car is out of warranty so my two options are -

1. Buy a replacement vacuum pump, possibly off wrecked vehicle as new OEM parts aren't cheap.

2. Try and clean the pump and connections, keep driving the car, hoping that the pump doesn't fail and wait to see if there is a safety recall in the UK.

Any other recommendations? I use the car daily and want to keep it running for as long as I can.
Thanks

UPDATE - Had a look at various options. I can find plenty of new replacement pumps but they are all of the recalled model (4641A034) not the (2nd) replacement pump (model MW400261) and most of them will cost upwards of 300GBP before import taxes etc are added. I don't want to shell out this for a defective pump which will only last a few years anyway. I'm going to investigate a generic pump and see if this could be a more cost effective solution and keep my fingers crossed that there is the recall in the UK and EU.

I'm interested to hear from other owners in the UK/EU if any others have experienced this.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the brake fluid is full.

I did check it after I had problems.. Always check the simple things first.. :oops:

I've driven the car and the problem has not yet happened again. When it happened it was after using the brakes a lot after going down a steep hill and city driving with lots of traffic lights. A visual inspection of the pump confirms it has suffered from corrosion. I am looking to source a compatible pump as I think this one is on its way out.

I have tried to get the issue to happen again by pumping the brake pedal in park but the light/buzzer has only intermittently flashed, not continuously on.

I can't find any information on the stated power consumption of the vacuum pump when new but canion records a 0.4kw
This seems a bit high. I'll update with my progress.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4155&p=39784&hilit=hungry#p39784

I would buy a new vacuum pump - The same one as they are installing for the North American recall, and keep your receipt!. Brakes are not something where you want to take the cheap way out . . . . when you have a problem, fix it right. Eventually, Peugeot will recall your car for this problem and you will get a reimbursement for what you paid for your new pump

Don

Don said:
Eventually, Peugeot will recall your car for this problem and you will get a reimbursement for what you paid for your new pump

Don

I really hope you are right regarding this. As far as I am aware, mitsubishi has not yet issued a recall for the UK/EU cars. I am unsure when peugeot/citroen will although I see no reason why they shouldn't soon as it is a known problem.

The only other issue is that I can't seem to find the part anywhere. I can find plenty of the second generation pumps (the one that is currently failing in my car model number 4641A034). Most of them are upwards of $500.

The new replacement pump part number is MW400261. I don't know if peugeot have their own part number for the same part.

Back