CCS/SAE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradleydavidgood777 said:
I felt like I had an old fashioned car there.
I wouldn't say that, but, it's true that CHAdeMO was the standard on two of the earliest of the "modern" (2011-) EVs in the U.S., and is unlikely to be seen on many more going forward. That's not because it's technically inferior, but CCS has the backing of all the U.S. and European car companies -- including Volkswagen, who are funding Electrify America, who built that 6:1 station you cited -- while even some previous CHAdeMO users like Kia have moved to CCS for newer U.S. models.

CHAdeMO is still very readily available at almost all DCFC stations, even the new ones. Many of the EVgo DCFC stations here have CHAdeMO--->Tesla adapters chained to them, and I've often used CHAdeMO with my Tesla (especially in Canada) using my own adapter. Yes, I think it'll be around for many years to come and I hope to someday rig a 'clean' CHAdeMO setup to utilize my i-MiEV as V2H. The problem is simply getting access to those CHAdeMO stations, as almost all stations are shared with SAE/CCS and so many EV newbies need to be educated in charging etiquette.

It’s going to take a long time, if ever, for CHAdeMO to disappear. It was the de-facto world standard for quick charging until the SAE got involved. Personally, I think big on-board chargers capable of three-phase as is done in Europe would’ve been the better answer instead of having four different connectors and depending on somewhat unreliable quick chargers.

Rant aside, I’m waiting for the day when a CHAdeMO/CCS adapter is available, in either direction.

Back