Wallbox Quasar or other bi-directional chademo

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenthousandclowns

https://electrek.co/2020/01/06/wallbox-quasar-tesla-nissan/

they describe a new bi-directional chademo unit that can charge the car at 7.4kw and also discharge it to provide power at that same rate. Would the miev need a software or wiring change to get it to give up power through the chademo? Also what kw remaining limit would you choose to stop it from discharging..

Its about $4k now, so like what i paid for my car.. but it will come down im sure.

Also might be good for people with failed on board chargers.

EXCELLENT! I’ve been waiting for such for a very long time, and unlike TESLA announcements, this one comes with actual specifications, though no details on how it handles changeover in a grid outage. UL1741 dictates a quick disconnection during power failures.

After more reading, I see no emergency power provision, only grid-connected operation.
Sorry, no sale on this half- measure. It may offer a business case in the few markets that have TOU or demand pricing for residential accounts, and at commercial sites elsewhere. 7.4 kW returned to the grid during the right 15 minutes of a winter month is worth $12.81 per peak kW locally, for a total potential gross value of $94.79 per month, or 42 months simple payback, without considering any other values.

hmm i assumed it could be used for emergency backup power but maybe i was just interpreting optimistically. that said, i have a salvage chademo cable and i want somebody to make the black box that goes between that and the house when the power goes out. and also to figure out how to tell the car its ok and to stop before the car is empty, and stick the dc from the solar panels in there too, why not.

wonder how the BMS activation work ? charging is just the standard Chamedo protocol, but pulling from the pack is normally handled through the motor drive circuitry. If BMS info is being passed through the Chamedo, then I guess the BMS can be external to the iMiev.

I've been thinking about this off & on. Always thought an used SparkEV may be better, given the liquid cooling system. A CCS version is supposedly in the work. Just imagine having access to the BoltEV 60kwh pack

Back