JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: Power the house with MiEV battery?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:06 am

acensor wrote:...But recently in a reply to another thread of mine our moderator, JoeS, said --
"my electric car is powering my house (even though it's just a simple 12v inverter."
OK, Joe (or anyone else):
Details please?
Do I correctly infer that (a) you just clipped an inverter onto the little 12 volt MiEV battery and (b) that the MiEV automatically uses energy in the main traction battery (as long as some is available) to keep the 12 volt topped up? Even when parked?
In any case raises questions?
How many watts can one safely draw out of the 12 volt without over loading its output or MiEV's ability to keep up with the drain. I infer (from the fact that when driving with lights on and heater running and that's got to be demanding quite a bit of wattage, which I _assume_ is all(?) coming out at 12 volts both to lights and the heater, that must be significant.
Joe.... What's been your experience with that kludge? What in the house can you run on it?
Do you just run an extension to a few items, or do you interface with or backfeed into your house wiring?

OK, finally getting around to answering acensor's query, which has already been very ably responded-to by Don and others.

Here's the full quote of what I wrote -
"Love razzing my friends that my electric car is powering my house (even though it's just a simple 12v inverter running the fridge). If things get serious, I have the ability to hook up a lot of 48v battery packs and charge my cars if needbe, with Solar to recharge."

The first sentence is tongue-in-cheek, as when the power goes out what I normally do is plug in an inverter into any of the many different dc sources I have in the garage and then simply run a long extension cord to the refrigerator in the kitchen. I was surprised that my latest fridge only draws a little over 100W, with a 50% duty cycle.

No, I haven't modified my all-electric house to provide for a serious standby generator (battery-powered inverter) with isolation switch and dedicated critical wiring. The longest that power was out at my house was for around ten days after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, and we did just fine as I brought my ancient MBZ L206D British camper conversion close to the kitchen and used its cooking facilities in addition to a propane camping stove in the kitchen.

I have given some serious thought to this and am still in the process of building a solar trailer with huge 48v battery packs and large inverter(s) that will enable me to not only power some of the house but also charge my electric cars if a serious calamity should knock out the grid. For now, I'm ok as I can kluge something together (as long as my garage is still standing) :roll:

So, back on topic and to answer the original question regarding our i-MiEV as an energy source: even though it could provide much more power, I personally wouldn't want to draw more than about 100W out of an inverter hooked up to our i-MiEV 12v battery (the car in READY), especially nowadays as our OBC/dc-dc is proving to be iffy.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

WReed82

Re: Power the house with MiEV battery?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi JoeS,

"even though it could provide much more power, I personally wouldn't want to draw more than about 100W out of an inverter hooked up to our i-MiEV 12v battery (the car in READY), especially nowadays as our OBC/dc-dc is proving to be iffy."

Ah, I see the light.

For the EV expo I'm going to pull the big AGM battery out of my truck for powering the sound system.
This has the added benefit of freeing up Maeve for ferrying interested folks around the parking lot.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”