long-term parts availability ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WReed82

Hi Folks,

I'm new here, and looking at buying an I-MiEV.
We have a Fit for longer trips.
(With the seats down, the I-MiEV actually has more cargo room than the Fit!)

I think my biggest question is about long-term parts availability.
Do you have any idea whether ten years from now parts will be available?

I saw headlight assemblies on Ebay offered at over $300 each.
Those kinds of prices could add up to a pricey car after a while.

Thanks and good health, WR

Mitsubishi USA will have to support the 2016 new i-MiEV warranties, so that ensures parts on the following schedule.
Overall thru 2019
Powertrain and Restraint System thru 2021
Battery thru 2022
Corrosion/Perforation thru 2023
I believe that the line is still running in Japan, and though US sales figures were low at 2108 vehicles total, most of our parts are shared with the global version, for a total production of over 30,000 units, with over 18k in the EU, which will make importation of used parts fairly feasible if the US supply runs out.
Another 7800 of the i-MiEV truck and van variants were also sold, for some help with battery and powertrain components.

I think $300 is pretty close to the dealer price for a headlight assembly - I've seen them on eBay more than once for $200. I have a spare right one in my garage as a result of a minor fender bender my wife had a few years back. I've hung on to it thinking sooner or later a forum member here might need one

Parts are available from wrecking yards as cars end up there and so far most of us have been able to find many used parts much cheaper than new ones. The cars are pretty darned reliable, so for most of us not finding what we need hasn't been too much of an issue

Me?? I bought a spare car just to make sure I would still have one f something happened :lol:

Don

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Forty years ago I was a mechanic, driving a twenty year old 1958 VW.
It was pretty sweet that parts were available.

The I-MiEV kinda reminds me of the old bugs in their simplicity.

If we end up getting one, will post back.

Good health, WR

Back