Simple question about chargers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achimakulo

Hello there! :D
This is my first post here and I just wanted to know if buying a type 1 to type 2 (mennekes) charger is really worth.
Right now I have the original charger but I'm considering buying a 16A type 1 to type 2 (mennekes). What do you guys think, should I stick to the original charger? Will my I-Miev charge faster in public chargers? I've searched elsewhere but since I'm no expert in electricity and electric vehicles I don't really understand the difference between Ampheres and watts and so. Then I was wondering if some of you already own one of those cables or have more knowledge than me (which is not hard) and could tell me if it's worth. Thanks in advance! :)

maximum charging current 240 volts 3.3 kW.
Only a fast station can charge quickly, but this is a completely different port.
https://www.designwerk.com/en/fast-chargers/

All 'charging' is done by the charger built into the car, you can't change that and it is limited to 3.3 Kw maximum

The EVSE's you are considering determine how fast you can charge based on whether you are using 120 volts or 240 volts as the power source.

Don

I think it would help if we knew where you're located (Europe or North America) and what year and model car you have - iMiEV, iOn or C-Zero

Public charging doesn't involve you buying any cables - You just plug in the J-1772 connector and you're charging . . . . unless maybe you live in England, where it might be a bit different

Don

I live in Spain and I have a 2013 I-Miev and the thing is that here there is no public cables, only plugs and in some sites they have only the mennekes plug. In this image https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sfOMt8PoTNtgstHcfbOvypLxgEVNcJLX/view?usp=sharing Is where I usually charge it and it says that the mennekes has 22kw power and the schuko 2,3kw. Since the max charge rate of the mitsubishi is 3,3kw, would it mean that my I-Miev would charge at his max if I charge it with a type 2 cable? Thank you for your answers!

PD: Checking the first post I made I realized I wanted to really say "cable" instead of "charger" sorry english is not my mother language :?

I can see why you're confused- even a good amateur electrician would find the mennekes Type 2 connection confusing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_2_connector
I believe the bottom line is that yes, if you get a charging cable with the Mennekes connector, you will get the maximum 3.3 kW AC charging rate, though often more like 3.0 kW in actual use. CHAdeMO is the only way to get more than 3.3 kW. Our cars will often accept a full 50 kW from CHAdeMO longer than a LEAF because of our superior battery cooling system.

jray3 said:
CHAdeMO is the only way to get more than 3.3 kW. Our cars will often accept a full 50 kW from CHAdeMO longer than a LEAF because of our superior battery cooling system.

maybe the old LEAF, but i watched a 2018 version drawing 100A for 30 minutes yesterday, 40kWh pack with 150 mile EPA range.

Glad to hear the new LEAF will sustain high current DCFC better than the old, but I’m not confident in their battery thermal management yet, and therefore service life. The BOLT tapers off pretty quickly on DCFC, making it much slower overall than a TESLA on a long road trip.

Back