From Lurking to Owning, Finally!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymil

After reading everything I could about this car and taking three test drives, I finally took the plunge and bought a MiEV. I bought the car off the dealer's lot so I got a nice discount on it. It's the ES model - black -with the cold weather package and I had the usb port installed. I also ordered some 3M decals but those haven't arrived yet. I picked the car up Saturday afternoon.

I also bought one of the dealer's Eaton chargers from him for $800. I told him I was going to order a charger from Home Depot for $900 and he offered one of his. Apparently the Mitsubishi parent company required him to buy three chargers and he said that two was more than enough. I'm not sure if this was a good move on my part. He was supposed to give me all the ownership material including warranty papers, but apparently he forgto to include them. What kind of warranty are other owners of Level 2 chargers getting?

Here are some of the things I've learned about the car:

* The remote heat/ac on/off doesn't work when the car is being charged on the level 2 charger. However the manual states it doesn't work during rapid charging. I didn't think Level 2 was considered rapid charging. Anyone else notice this?

* The cd player doesn't let you shuffle songs. You can skip and scan, but I don't see any way to shuffle.

* The ipod does work in the ES model with the optional usb port. You just have to press the cd button - press it twice if there is a cd in the cd player.

* Once the ipod is connected to the car stereo, you can't control the ipod from the ipod itself. So you have to set up what you want to hear before connecting it to the car. However, you can alter the music you listen to from the car stereo dials. The up/down seek buttons and the volume buttons allow you to select artist/album/song. However, once again, there is no way to choose shuffle from the car dials, you have to do that from the ipod.

* The a/c gets very cold! So if you turn the a/c on remotely don't wait too long before getting in your car. It'll be an icebox if you wait the full half hour that the a/c will stay on.

* The heater is very weak. The air was only tepid after a good while of waiting. The heated seats though get very hot very quickly. That will be a big help in winter.

* Others have already posted that the radio clock can only be set for military time. Annoying.

* Someone here has posted that no matter how far you move the driver's side mirror left, you have a big blind spot. I didn't find that to be the case. I'm 5' 10" and don't need the seat all the way back, so maybe that has helped me, but I'm able to see cars on the left side transition from rear view mirror to side view to my peripheral vision. Not a problem.

* This item was very important to me; I can fit my golf bag across the back of the trunk without putting the back seats down! I took the driver and 3 wood out of the bag and it fit snuggly in the trunk. I also bought a Sun Mountain micro cart and it fits on top of my golf bag. The driver and 3 wood then go right across everything. So almost all my golf stuff fits in the trunk with back seats up and even tilted back!

* The warranty includes a three-year free tow to the closest Mitsubishi dealer if the car is disabled. I think there's a car mileage max on this warranty too but I can't remember what it is.

* I don't see any info on rotating the tires and the salesman didn't know if they get rotated and what schedule. Does anyone know?

* The difference between driving local roads and highway is huge! I live just north of Albany, NY and after picking up the car yesterday I drove to Saratoga today to play golf - a 25 mile trip each way. Talk about range anxiety! I started with a full charge and 65 miles of estimated range. I started on the highway (Route 87/the Northway) went 5 exits then got off the highway and took Route 9 the rest of the way. The range remaining almost stood still after I got off the highway. I got to the golf course after 25 miles and still had 45 miles of range remaining. After golf I took the highway all the way home and finished the trip with 14 miles remaining.

* The car definitely gets attention. Nobody around here has heard of it, people don't even know Mitsubishi makes an ev. I'm looking forward to educating people and encouraging them to check the car out. The decals should help. I ordered the "lower ev stripe" in blue/black for the sides of the car and I order a vanity plate that says "NOSMOG".

That's all I have for now. Tomorrow is myy first day driving the MiEV to work. I'm actually excited to go to work Monday!

Tonymil, congratulations on getting an iMiEV, even if it's black :p You and WeeJohn can compare notes.

The Remote DOES work when using the Level 2 charge. The Remote, kindly stated, is hokey. Although it always works every time for me for heat/cool, when trying to use the timer I usually have to try it a number of times before the ON and then ON-->OFF timers take hold (otherwise it beeps and says "error").

Thanks for the info about using the iPod. I haven't even tried my CD player yet.

I've barely used the a/c, but was impressed by its minimal power draw compared to heating (as reflected on RR).

Glad you and Jenn found the driver's side mirror fully usable. I'm the one that has a problem with it, but a small inside convex mirror fills the gap for me for now. I'm spoiled by 50 years of having front-fender slightly convex mirrors and zero blind spots.

I was told that a fellow with a Tesla bought an iMiEV to handle his local golfing excursions, so you're in good company.

Tire rotation could only be left-to-right, because the front tires are smaller than the rear ones. I personally don't bother rotating tires in any of my cars...

You immediately noticed the range hit at high speed. If you could participate and send me your red needle positions vs. speed data I can add it to the database leading to an empirically-derived speed vs. range curve.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=391

Have fun at work showing off the car! Do you get to charge at work?... with summer coming, you'll want to pre-cool it remotely :roll:

Hope you enjoy your new toy as much as we do.

Congrats on your new i-MiEV!

I agree with Joe that the pre-heat/-cool does work on L2 charging.

On the road, I actually see about an 8-10 mile hit on RR when I use the AC, on par with using the heater. Does it make a difference on RR given how hot it is when you use the AC? I've only tried it once when it was pretty hot out.

Jenn

Congrats on getting the iMiEV. You'll definitely be the only one on the block to have one.

Preconditioning should work with Level 2 charging. There are a few things that mayprevent precooling or heating to occur. A open door, vehicle not shut off, 330v battery charge is less than 20%.

Heater output is weak, better to use defrost mode to warm up the car.

The dealer sold you their level 2 EVSE? Is it a it a Eaton?, Was it shiny stainless steel (residential) or a painted heavy duty (commercial) model?

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'll test the remote again Tuesday night when I plug in the L2 charger again. The charger I bought from the dealer is commercial charger shown on this web page and video:

http://www.eaton.com/Electrical/USA/ProductsandServices/ElectricalDistribution/ElectricVehicleChargingSolutions/Level2ChargingStation/index.htm

The dealer had to pay $1,400 each and was glad to get rid of one. Except for the fact that the miev remote wouldn't connect with the car while charging, it worked just like it's supposed to. it even has software that transmits info wirelessly but I think I would need Eaton software on my computer to make it work.

As for the a/c, I used it very lightly yesterday and I don't think it impacted my range too severely. It's funny how the comfort settings work. In fact, I'm going to post a question on another page of this forum about the a/c. But when I used it I kept the fan low and the temp around medium-cold. The temp in the car was probably around 70-72.

JoeS, I'll try to start providing you some data. I can't charge at work - yet. I work for the state and the Office of General Services is having meetings to come up with a statewide policy on allowing state workers to charge up on state-operated parking lots.

I had a very good experience coming to work today. I had the car on the L1 charger overnight and this morning it had charged about 80% and had 56 miles RR. My commute is 7 miles and when I got to work I had 54 miles RR. I have a nice long downhill on the way to work that save a lot of charge. Of course it'll be uphill on the way home :cry: .

so far, so good!

Excellent deal on the Eaton EVSE. It is built like a tank. You'll have to figure out all the flashing lights. Is the color of the EVSE green or silver? Silver is the latest model. There is also a label on the side that will tell what s/w level the control board is at.

The preconditoning should work with the charge cord or the EVSE. All doors have to be closed and the charge handle fully inserted. Battery can't be less than 20% charged. Using pre-cooling or pre heating will increase charging times.

If pre cooling works on the cord set and not the charger then you will need to see if it requires a update.

I have the silver model Eaton. I agree it looks like a solid piece of equipment. So I had a few "duh" moments today, my third day with the car. A couple of times I turned the key and waited for the sound of the engine starting. Duh! Then on my way home I saw that the range remaining was down to 20 miles but then I looked down the street and said to myself "Oh good, there's a gas station" Double Duh. I laughed really hard at myself for that one!

So my question to those who have had the car for a while, how long does it take to become "normal"? When do you stop thinking about the fact that "this isn't a gas car"?

I think about it not being a gas car nearly every mile I drive it - I'm 'learning' how to maximize all it's pluses and I relish every gas station we drive by . . . . because we don't have to pull in and 'offload' $40 or $50 ;)

One day it will become 'normal' for me to drive an EV . . . . but I hope it never becomes ICE normal, if you know what I mean - It's way more fun than either of my other cars

Don

Back