kiev

[POLL] On-Board Charger and DC/DC Converter

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Preventative Measures: See 12V Aux Battery Test in this post

This poll is open to everyone, please indicate if you have experienced a failure of either the On-Board Charrger or DC/DC Converter or the 20A fuse in the MCU or None (no failure).

If possible describe the condition of your 12V Aux battery at the time of the incident such as the age e.g. 4-yr old OEM, or Brand spank new or recently replaced 6 months ago, etc.

Please list the typical amount of battery maintenance that was done, e.g monthly, semi-annual, annual, never, and what procedures were done, such as checking of the fluid level and topping off, any periodic top-up charging with either float or dedicated 12V chargger, cleaning of terminal blocks, etc.

Here's a little form that you can copy and paste into your post and fill in the blanks. If you want to be anonymous you can send me a PM or email and i'll just use your data to tally without any names.
kenny 1st_dot house (at) mchsi 2nd_dot com

Just looking for clues and trends of why over a dozen charrgers have failed in a somewhat tight time window after 5-6 year of running okay.

-----------------
1. Year and mileage on your iMiev:

2. OBC failure experience:

3. 12V Battery Condition, Age:

4. 12V Battery Maintenance Frequency and Procedures:

5: Charging history, any incidents of abnormal interruptions such as loss of AC mains, or pulling the AC plug to shut off (as opposed to pressing the J1772 button or automatic shutoff by the car):

--------------
Last edited by kiev on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

kiev

Re: [POLL] On-Board Charger and DC/DC Converter

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:40 pm

p.s.

My theory is that a weak or old 12V battery could let the DC/DC converter, the main contactors, any of the 12V supply relays, or the little boost gate driver power supply inside the OBC, to have a hiccup. Unfortunately any of these will result in a huge and catastrophic electrical spike in the OBC if it occurs during charging.

So my thoughts are to not try to get every last bit of life out of your Aux battery like we used to do with ICE cars. And this is especially true if you don't have time to keep up with periodic checking and maintenance. Consider it cheap insurance to just replace it after 3 or 4 years. And probably a good idea to spend a little more for higher quality brand, or even pay out the nose for an OEM--they do seem to work well and last a long time (but risky to push them to the end in our case).

An ICE car can tolerate a weak 12V battery better than an EV. Unfortunately some have had to learn the hard and expen$ive way.

If you are still driving around on the original OEM Aux battery, then you are living on borrowed time for some expensive repair parts, just my 1¢ worth, bandwidth is half-price today...
Last edited by kiev on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

Phximiev

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:12 pm

1. Year and mileage on your iMiev: 2012, 43k or so.

2. OBC failure experience: none

3. 12V Battery Condition, Age: about a year, replaced by Mitsubishi dealer with OEM? battery.

4. 12V Battery Maintenance Frequency and Procedures: None, but dealer checks it.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

charliejuliett

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:14 am

1. Year and mileage on your iMiev:
2012 35K miles

2. OBC failure experience:
OBC Failure During Charging, 20A 400V fuse blown inside inverter housing. Replaced with ots dcdc converter and chademo charger. Car has been running great for 1000 miles+ since failure.

3. 12V Battery Condition, Age:
Original, (6 years old) seemed strong, never discharged.

4. 12V Battery Maintenance Frequency and Procedures:
Never let fluid levels get low, never let discharge below 11v.

5: Charging history, any incidents of abnormal interruptions such as loss of AC mains, or pulling the AC plug to shut off (as opposed to pressing the J1772 button or automatic shutoff by the car):
Always used the KWH limit on my open evse to hault charging at around 80%. Never pulled the AC plug to shut off.
Last edited by charliejuliett on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

veimi

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 am

1. Year and mileage on your iMiev: 2012 - 55,000 km CHAdeMO

2. OBC failure experience: None

3. 12V Battery Condition, Age: Car was bought used but assume 6 years

4. 12V Battery Maintenance Frequency and Procedures: After sitting for about 3 months, car wouldn't go into Ready mode. Battery dead.

Battery when charging wasn't drawing enough current from charger. Removed cell covers from battery cells and filled with distilled water. For the past 6 months, the battery now keeps its charge for extended period of time, but after reading this it would appear that a new battery should be included in my service budget for this car which after 2 years has been zero.

jray3

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:53 am

1. Year and mileage on your iMiev: 2012 - 91,000

2. OBC failure experience: Filter caps and 20A fuse blew at 80,000 miles, 6 yrs old

3. 12V Battery Condition, Age: Healthy V and CCA at 6 yrs, replaced along with OBC, still in use on another vehicle.

4. 12V Battery Maintenance Frequency and Procedures: Watered at least once per year, consumption was low.

5. No timer use, but unplugged during L1 charging a few times.

My 12V lived a hard life with extended accessory use and many ICE jump starts, but OBC/DCDC failed overnight on a normal L2 recharge in mild weather.
Last edited by jray3 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 93,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

pbui19

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 pm

1. Year and mileage on your iMiev: 2014, ~20kmiles

2. OBC failure experience: none, but now always lift up rear hatch when charging L2 since learned of the problem on this forum. Thank you all so much !!

3. 12V Battery Condition, Age: original

4. 12V Battery Maintenance Frequency and Procedures: the iMiev is mostly parked these days, since we also have the Volt and the Boltev. When parked, 12v negative is disconnected and a cheapy HarborFreight Solar trickle charger is attached. But the solar trickler was recently found dead, so disconnecting the 12v was a big help. The 12v had gone to low SOC a couple of time, when forgot to remove the OBDII Bluetooth transceiver.

1pk

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 pm

1. Year and mileage on your iMiev: 2012 with 134k km

2. OBC failure experience: OBC failed at 133k km. four days before the charger failed my experience was that the car would charge at a very slow rate for a few minutes before charging would shut down (This happened at three public l2 chargers) For the next three days charging worked normally. The last succesfull charge before this all happened was L1 plugged into the 15 amp socket of an RV. Car was in direct sun.

3. 12V Battery Condition, Age: Battery replaced by dealer at 120k km.

4. 12V Battery Maintenance Frequency and Procedures: No maintenance done on original. I had no issues with the performance of car with original battery

5. Do not use a timer on my charging. Normally charge until full or end charge by removing j1772 from car. I have probably unplugged the charger from the wall first (120v 12a) but that is not my normal practice.
Last edited by 1pk on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiev

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:54 am

i've added a 5th question concerning interruption of AC power during charging, if you could go back and edit your responses for this, thanks.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”