Range/Battery Degradation ??

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

When I first obtained my new 2012 I-Miev in 2014, I decided to check the range by Charging empty to full
for 10 straight times, and taking an average of the 10 charges RR for a sample range.
I came up with an average of 67 RR.

Well, here it is, 4 years later, and I decided to do it again.
I came up with an average 0f 66.5 RR!

Very little if any degradation.

Phase 2 of my long distance tests begin on August 23 with a short 1000 mile round trip jaunt to NE Ohio.
This trip will contain yet another piece of the Lincoln Highway in Indiana.....

Just another day in the life of this amazing car!

I don't believe you can draw any degradation conclusions from a test using the RR meter - RR numbers only show how you drove the previous 15 miles prior to plugging in to recharge and can vary greatly depending on many factors

*If* all 20 of those you documented were done on the same route, on the same road, at the same speed and under the same weather conditions, then you may be a bit closer to getting a meaningful comparison, but you could still have lost a bit more capacity than your results would seem to show

An interesting test, but I'm not sure it shows you what you think it does

Don

Well, silly me...

I was just proclaiming my happiness at what I thought was a good thing about this remarkable car.

Guess I was wrong.

Sorry to disappoint.

rkar189203, delighted you're still taking longer trips in your i-MiEV. You honed your efficient driving skills during your cross-country trip, and now it simply comes naturally. Range continues to be "whatever we need it to be" and I'm impressed by the consistency of your readings after four years - yes, battery degradation is a negligible issue with us. On this forum most of us are i-MiEV fans and recognize the value our maneuverable little workhorse provides.

Rick, have a great trip in August, and please do open up a new thread and post a blow-by-blow account of your adventure - I love referring to your trips to i-MiEV 'doubters'.

rkarl89203 said:
Well, silly me...

I was just proclaiming my happiness at what I thought was a good thing about this remarkable car.

Guess I was wrong.

Sorry to disappoint.
It's certainly no disappointment, and yes, it is a remarkable car - You have a right to be happy . . . . sorry if I threw a damper on that! :(

As we 'learn' how to drive them, our RR numbers do get better because the driver gets more and more efficient which is another reason it's pretty hard to deduce too much from only RR numbers

Don

Hi rkar189203,
What kind of mileage have racked up after 4 years and that route 66 trip? This 1,000 mile trip should be a walk in the park for you.
I'll be interested to hear your impressions in comparing the i Miev's performance of these 2 trips.
Keep us posted.

Hi all....Sandange...I have just over 37,000 miles...

Of that, just under 6,000 miles was the route 66 trip,

I have all of the chargers lined up for the Ohio trip....Should be leaving on August 23....just running out to see my daughter. Slightly over 1,000 miles(round trip) due to following the chargers.

Looks like a 6-7 day trip. But we'll see...

This is an amazing car.

A Mitsubishi dealer contacted me asking if I wanted to buy a PHEV with a 23 mile electric range.
I told him my I-Miev could do triple that on the electric. I wasn't amused.

Have a great time ....I will probably blog this trip.
Will let everyone know,,,,,

Toshiba gives a warranty on its batteries for 20 years of operation and 20% loss,
New developments with titanium give an even longer battery life, the battery capacity is 2 times more, the loss is even less!
:idea:
corporations are selling oil! it is not advantageous to make very good quality batteries!

Back