Steering issue

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotnocars

My steering was perfectly fine - as l turned the wheel it was the expected circular motion.
Overnight it now feels as though it's operating a hexagon - steady small clicks felt through the steering wheel - in both directions.
Anybody had that and knows what's happening?

Welcome to the forum, gotnocars. From the symptoms I'd first think a bad bearing on the steering column, but with some of the earliest electric power steering systems you could feel 'cogging' from the assist motor during very slow turns, and I'd expect a power or motor control issue to be more likely. How many miles are on your car, and has it seen any severe service? I expect the daily autocross routine to the home of JoeS would reveal any steering weaknesses earlier than for the rest of us.

Gotnocars, welcome to the forum. That's a strange one, as I don't recall any steering-related issues at all with our i-MiEVs. In addition to the questions jray3 posed, any other environmental oddities? Any change in the steering force?

"...steady small clicks felt through the steering wheel..."
Speculation - something to do with the steering wheel key lock?

Anyone?

BTW Gotnocars, since this is an international forum, whereabouts are you located? Year of your i-MiEV (because elsewhere in the world they predate our North American 2012)? http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196

Back