How Well Does My Remaining Range Compare With Other Older Cars?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veimi

After bringing my 2012 car which I bought used with 50,000 km (30,000 miles) on it out of winter storage, I have been doing a lot of city driving.

I have been getting a consistent 120 km (72 miles) remaining range and if I drove the car to empty, this looks like a realistic figure.

In the city, in Economy mode, I rarely exceed 70 km/h (40 mph).

I was wondering how these figures compare to other owners of older or higher mileage cars.

i would say that is excellent. i usually see RR in the sixties driving a 2012 with 35k miles, driven 50 to 60 miles/day with ~1/3 of that on the interstate at 65 to 70 mph.

My wife gets similar results on her 39,000 mile i-miev, but she readily admits that she's a putt-putter. She's very easy on the throttle and rarely exceeds 45mph. She never uses the interstate.

When I drive the car I get on the interstate and drive 70-75 with the A/C on. After I've been in it it returns a guess of about 55 miles.

veimi, that 120km number is very good and consistent with my wife's driving in town. Like iwatson, mine is usually much lower except when I'm hypermiling. I saw RR=82 the other day on a longer trip. I still defy anyone being able to predict their exact number upon charging completion. :)

DougC said:
At 43k miles I see 60-65 miles. My route is 3/4 at 55 mph and 1/4 35 mph.
I see a similar 65-68 if I recharge after a city only route.
Lookin' good! I would have expected a better number after city-only driving. In my own case, because I'm a leadfoot, I'm usually under RR=60; nevertheless, I showed RR=82 after my 65+mile round trip to the airport a few days ago. Have around 30K miles on my Mitti replacement battery pack. Range is whatever we need it to be and I still defy anyone to predict what their full-charge RR number will be. :p

For anyone reading this for the first time, there are two things to note with our i-MiEV's Range Remaining (RR) display after a full charge -

1. It reflects how the car was driven for the preceding 15 miles (24km) and excludes heater or A/C usage. Turning on the heater or A/C will decrease the displayed RR number by about 20% and 10%, respectively. Rather than being a measure of battery capacity, RR simply reflects the driving conditions surrounding the previous 15 miles.
2. Mitsubishi has done a nice job of camouflaging the true battery capacity as they merely reduce the (invisible and unknown) distance you can drive in 'turtle'. This has sure not subjected us to the angst that, for example, Leaf owners have as they see their capacity bars drop.

The battery capacity number stored by the car is accessible using the CaniOn and EVbatMon apps.

JoeS said:
Rather than being a measure of battery capacity, RR simply reflects the driving conditions surrounding the previous 15 miles.
------------------------------------------------

I still defy anyone to predict what their full-charge RR number will be.

Of course for varying driving conditions I agree, but I have found that when driving only in the city always under 70 km/h (40 mph) I get a consistent and predictable 120 to 128 km (72 miles) Remaining Range which would be achieved if I drove the car to zero blobs.

I realize that this does not reveal the true battery capacity and it would be interesting to see how much further the car can drive under the same conditions while in turtle mode.

Turtle mode is at 9.5% SOC and the car stops when one of these events happen:
1) 0% SOC is reached
2) One cell reaches 2.7V

So as the battery degrades you stop being able to reach 0% SOC (less distance driven in turtle), because one cell will reach 2.7V first.
But that's only until the car makes a capacity recalculation. After that, you're able to reach 0% SOC again, but each bar will be worth less energy, and the RR you get will suffer a decrease.

JoeS said:
DougC said:
At 43k miles I see 60-65 miles. My route is 3/4 at 55 mph and 1/4 35 mph.
I see a similar 65-68 if I recharge after a city only route.
Lookin' good! I would have expected a better number after city-only driving. In my own case, because I'm a leadfoot, I'm usually under RR=60

I did see 78 today after a long city route. Most of my "city only" trips are only 5-6 miles.

After my 1193 mile trip to Ohio(and back) recently I got a 80RR upon return...mostly, though I get 67-70 RR.
I have a 2012 SE with all the extras...and 40,000 miles on it.

Hi all!

For a different approach than the guess-o-meter, here's a list of remaining capacity on a range of i-mievs in Norway:
https://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php?topic=33622.0

Measured using the app EvBattMon and a bluetooth ODB-adapter.

The list reads:
|model year|Kms driven|max AmpereHours remaining|Capacity left %|mnth/yr measured|maker|Car owners username|

Hope you find it interesting :)

Now at 97,700 miles, I stretched to reach an EVGO DCFC tonight and what looked like two miles to spare became the turtle real quick. After driving nearly s mile and a couple of steep slopes, the EVGO station reported a starting SOC of 10% And then proceeded to sustain 119 A into the car for several minutes. However, the rate fell to 30A at 60% SOC. Total time from 10% to 80% was 28 minutes, by which time it was only drawing 16a.
That’s a steeper slowdown than I am used to, and my longest DCFC EVer...

Ambient 50 degrees F, just drove 40 miles (not from 100%).
That’s still better than the previous DCFC on eluminocity, which ramped down to under 12 kW within 5 minutes, delivering only 3.29 kWh in a 20 minute session from about 40% to 80%!

jray3 said:
Now at 97,700 miles, ...
Hi Jay. What's your amp-hour reading? I'm finding myself using EVgo DCQC more often (when NEEDED, and then usually for just a few minutes), as it seems that the present cool weather hits the pack a bit harder. After my Tahoe trip I like the 'new' EVgo so much that I've signed up for their $10/month plan and I get to use that up for 'free' each month. :roll:

Mitti is at 38.1Ah with about 35K miles on the replacement pack, worse than I expected and may be due to my leadfoot driving as I continue charging really conservatively.

FWIW:
I've got 35,000 on our 2012. Purchased off dealer lot in April 2013... where it had been sitting for, I guess, a year.
When new I used to be able to COUNT on 70 miles (113 km) showing on the RR on a full charge.
And once got a legit 125 miles on a full charge.

Our driving mix is part local at under 40 mph(64 km) and part intercity mostly between 50 and 65 mph (80 to 105kmh).
Occasional bits of steep hill but mostly flat or mild slopes.
Fair to say the battery has been well treated. We charge at 12 amp (120volt charger), never level-2.
It's garaged so rarely below 40 F nor above 90 F.
And mostly we don't fully charge it ..... just up to one or two bars short of full.

So I'd say that so far the indication of a slight but noticeable loss of range is about what's expected.
And for our particular pattern of use and expectations, well, "OK."

I just did my end of month mileage recording..
I believe today I am over 190,xxx km ( 118,xxx miles)

As for my Range remaining readings -
keep in mind that my last 20 km (12 miles) drive home involves

a climb of approximately 203 m ( 665 ft )
at a speed of about 50 kmph (30mph)

In the last few days I've had 2 drastically different Range remaining readings & conditions

95 km, (59 miles) Range reading, driving solo - temps were -15 C, (5 f )
46 km, (28.5 miles) Range reading, pulling a 5 x 9 low profile empty trailer - temps were -25 C, (-13 f )

Bluey keeps on going & going :D

On February 1,
JoeS said:
Mitti is at 38.1Ah with about 35K miles on the replacement pack, worse than I expected and may be due to my leadfoot driving as I continue charging really conservatively.
Yesterday I fully fully charged Mitti up from two bars (for the first time since I don't-remember when), and the capacity went up to 39.1Ah! Temperature around 60degF. :D

Back