Tire Pressure Sensor Issue

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veimi

Shortly after buying a used 2012 with 50,000 km on the odometer, the tire pressure indicator came on steadily.

Checking all my tires revealed they were all the same, but I increased them all to 40 psi. The tire pressure light remained on for the next 2 years.

Yesterday I put the car back on the road after storing it for the winter and the low tire pressure light was still on.

I checked the tire pressure in all the tires after storage and they were all low, so I re-inflated them to 40 psi.

Here is the mystery part.

After inflating the right front tire, I dropped the valve cap and it fell behind the hubcap. Reinstalling the hubcap after removal was difficult so I used a rubber mallet which took some time and repeated hits to get the correct alignment.

Lo and behold, the low tire pressure light was no longer illuminated!

Shortly after buying the car 2 years ago, I had whacked the right front wheel into the curb while parking and it was my suspicion that this was the cause of my low tire pressure light indicator being on.

It is my understanding that a low battery in the pressure sensors will result in a blinking low tire pressure indicator light and this wasn't the case, the indicator light in my car was on all the time.

My question is, is it possible that my repeated hammering of the hubcap with a rubber mallet fixed a stuck switch on the tire pressure sensor?

That's an interesting story--yes i think you cleared that trouble code.

Years ago Bosch has a "MUT" type device for accessing engine parameters, diagnostics, etc. Funny thing is that is was called the "Bosch Hammer"

Back