The oddest of consumers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymil

The last part of this review of the i MiEV made me laugh so I thought I'd share it. The review is very brief, but also pretty favorable until the end. http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/05/13/mitsubishi-i-miev-entry-level-for-electric-cars/

The review ends with:

"One person might call the Mitsubishi a simple, minimalist design with a form-follows-function elegance. Another may consider it a crude, bare-bones egg on wheels.

"I’m leaning closer to the second characterization because, while the Mitsubishi works well and is fun to drive, it doesn’t seem like “enough car” for the price. For now it seems the formula for electric-car pricing is: begin with a price most people would be willing to pay, then tack on $10,000 to assure only the oddest of consumers will buy them."

So, MiEV owners, you've been labeled the "oddest of consumers". How do you feel about that? I'm about to buy one and I have to say I feel pretty good about it. We can only hope the rest of the U.S. catches up to us very soon.

With the $7500 federal tax credit, the imiev price is only maybe $5 or $6k more than a comparable ICE car...and you have a chance to earn some of that back in gas saving...but look at the technology. True, you have to be a bit of a gadget geek, or concerned about foreign oil or the environment, but it's the first (ok, maybe the second, if you count the leaf at it's higher price) mass produced, made by a well known car/conglomerate company, to come in at this price.

tonymil, thanks for sharing the review.
My preference for describing the iMiEV is the 1970s (not 2012) expression funky: something different or strange but cool or admirable

Having driven my 1967 Saab for almost 45 years (bought it because I couldn't afford a Citroen) and two of my other EVs being Corbin Sparrows, my being called the oddest of consumers I consider to be a compliment... :roll:

Regarding price, what are the alternatives? Given the choice of electric vehicles available today, I'm out there doing it now for less than the others and yet have a very nice ride from a mainstream manufacturer, with many features I consider preferable to those "other" EVs.

This "oddest of consumers" has a tough time not sneering when passing gas stations :mrgreen: :twisted:

Back