Keeping the the cable connected (overnight for example)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myimiev

My sales representative, although somewhat helpful, was only semi-accurate with many facts.

One item he mentioned has to do with leaving the charging cable connected, even after achieving a full charge. He implied it may not be desirable, because the car will continually search for a current but cannot continue charging (or something to that effect) and this would have adverse effects on my home's breaker, or the cars computer system (like I said, I don't think he was entirely sure what he was saying himself, but this was his explanation for using the charging remote.)

Can anyone substantiate this? Or is it perfectly fine to simply plug it it overnight and unplug it in the morning?

Myimiev, beware of speculative statements by car salespeople…

The onboard charger is smart enough to turn off the input power when the iMiEV is fully charged, and the only remaining power draw will depend on the EVSE and which might be a couple of watts, if that, just to keep its circuits alive.

To answer your question, it's perfectly OK to plug in the car in the evening and unplug it in the morning - just like a cellphone. I have not seen any indication (using my TED 5000 display on the computer) that the charger periodically wakes up and tops off the iMiEV battery (certainly not in an overnight scenario).

In my case, I actually use timers to fully shut off both my iMiEV and cellphone chargers, both as a very redundant safety feature and to eliminate parasitic power draw. As discussed elsewhere, I also prefer to limit the everyday charge of my iMiEV traction battery to about 80%, which is why I normally prematurely turn off the charger using the Remote.

Back