PV1
Site Moderator

Re: 5 Year Ownership Review

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 pm

phb10186 wrote:It is a shame that it will never be widely recognised at the first mass-market EV of the modern era. It's also a shame that in about 10-15 years, very few if any will be on the road - but I will have to wait and see.

So true. Many don't realize that the i-MiEV accomplished a nationwide US rollout faster than the Nissan LEAF. The LEAF landed first, but the i-MiEV hit the east coast just before the LEAF did. People I talk to think it's a brand new car (in my mind, I still think of mine as new given the condition), but they are often surprised to hear that it is a 2012 model year.

With luck on my side, my pair of i-MiEVs will still be around that long. I don't plan on selling them, and with the Bolt taking the brunt of the miles now, they should last a long time. Jay, I'm looking forward to hear how the pack swap goes. I'm still betting on being able to swap out the cells after the warranty goes.

Regarding the Model 3, I was so torn between it and the Bolt. What sold me on the Bolt was driving a Model X. Tesla, to me, seems to focus more on curb appeal than on everyday practicality on most things with the exception being charging (nothing can touch Supercharging). If I had a job where wow-ing customers was a priority, no doubt I would be driving a Tesla. For everyday driving, I found that having everything on a touchscreen or steering wheel controls was a bit of a pain. Being able to reach over and adjust climate settings without looking is something I value, and the Bolt has the best UI I've found in a car yet for a touchscreen-based radio, despite needing the once-a-month reboot. The i-MiEV still wins on sound quality and bass punch of any EV I've driven once you get the door rattle in check.

Anyway, to get back on track, I'm glad to hear that everyone is still enjoying their i-MiEV after all these years, and I'm glad to see newcomers still streaming in. It seems like yesterday that I joined on and was awkwardly trying to figure out my future and if the i-MiEV would work for me. I'd say that my homework and going by gut feeling paid off. 53,000 plugged-in miles later and haven't yet run out of charge (although once nearly ran the company Volt out of gas. Hold mode to the rescue :lol: ).
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

ChrisEV

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:21 pm

PV1 wrote:
phb10186 wrote:Regarding the Model 3, I was so torn between it and the Bolt. What sold me on the Bolt was driving a Model X. Tesla, to me, seems to focus more on curb appeal than on everyday practicality on most things with the exception being charging (nothing can touch Supercharging). If I had a job where wow-ing customers was a priority, no doubt I would be driving a Tesla. For everyday driving, I found that having everything on a touchscreen or steering wheel controls was a bit of a pain. Being able to reach over and adjust climate settings without looking is something I value, and the Bolt has the best UI I've found in a car yet for a touchscreen-based radio, despite needing the once-a-month reboot. The i-MiEV still wins on sound quality and bass punch of any EV I've driven once you get the door rattle in check.

Anyway, to get back on track, I'm glad to hear that everyone is still enjoying their i-MiEV after all these years, and I'm glad to see newcomers still streaming in. It seems like yesterday that I joined on and was awkwardly trying to figure out my future and if the i-MiEV would work for me. I'd say that my homework and going by gut feeling paid off. 53,000 plugged-in miles later and haven't yet run out of charge (although once nearly ran the company Volt out of gas. Hold mode to the rescue :lol: ).

I get quite a few comments on my i-MIEV. Just the other day the mailman said they were jealous and wish they could afford an EV. I’ve surprised people that it’s a 2012.

My next car will be a Bolt or a Model3. Still undecided but I’d like a longer range EV.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

phb10186

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 pm

PV1 wrote:
Anyway, to get back on track, I'm glad to hear that everyone is still enjoying their i-MiEV after all these years, and I'm glad to see newcomers still streaming in.

After a period of zero used availability in the UK, I can see 5 for sale in the country (2 I's, 3 clones), and it would appear that values are holding - perhaps have even risen. 2 years ago I paid £5250 for a 3 year old car with 11K on the clock - now I would pay about £6000-£6250 looking at it - and bearing in mind that it will have 20-40K miles and be 4-5 years old, with Jan-Feb is a low demand period for buyers.

I would say this either reflects a general rise in demand for EVs, a general rise in new car prices (based on falling value of the £), or that any serviceable EV capable of the daily commute must be worth that sort of amount (also taking into account these are not that old yet).
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 16K
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

DogMan12

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:33 am

jray3 wrote:"Humbling" and "unpretentious" yet "smugly satisfying"!
With a collision-salvage battery pack in reserve and my original pack now reporting 37 Ah, this summer may be the time to swap packs, at least to confirm the condition of the salvaged pack.

jray, do you know how many charge cycles on your original pack? I have 37,000 miles on the 2012, (in service June 2013) and about 1,000 charges. I see no decline in reported range at the dashboard so far. I don't have a dealer battery test recently, but I do have to get it in for the two recalls. (Airbag light is on.)

Almost 5 years and it has been flawless. Tires, wipers, that's it.

I too have a Model 3 reservation. I too have second thoughts about it.
Dog Man Son
2012 iMiEV
We call it not Raspberry, but Metallic Malbec

jray3

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:33 pm

DogMan12, my number of cycles to get down to 37 Ah would be a guesstimate (unless that feature is hidden in CanIon), but at now 84,000 miles, I’ve already seen a 76 mile RR morning during a warm week in February with the winter tires still mounted! We start most mornings cold-soaked around 40 degrees, so I’m now betting there’s at least one more summer of 81 RR mornings left on the original pack! My charging routine remains a full L2 every night, and I discharge below 2 bars at least once per week. Living dangerously, Jay
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 91,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

DogMan12

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:25 am

Thanks, jray. I charge Level 1, usually from 5 or 6 bars to 16. I only go to 2 bars and complete cycle about once very 2 months.

Your total mileage and RR is enouraging.
Dog Man Son
2012 iMiEV
We call it not Raspberry, but Metallic Malbec

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”