12 Volt Source Behind Glovebox??

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

There must be a wire somewhere there I can use as a 12 volt source to power a back-up camera - Anyone know what color wire to look for?

Thanks!

Don

Backup camera or dashcam? I'm running a dashcam and GPS and Android tablet and some USB ports off a multi-port set of outlets, all plugged into that poor 'cigarette lighter' outlet. Ugly, but it works. Alternatively, pick up power from the fusebox (above driver's left foot) with a fuse tap?

Picking up from the fuse box by tapping into an existing fuse is always preferable to cutting a loom wire in my opinion. Another option would be to tap into the post-loom part of the stereo power - though some newer head units have a USB or other power tap straight from the back of the unit - worth checking maybe.

The fuse box on the car is very small (well it is on the RHD version) - I have been looking at a new dash cam with the correct fuse box tap - and the IMIEV takes the 'mini' type fuses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

So any power tap cable needs to be of that type. The other issue I can see is that the fuse box cover may not go back fully, so some way of strapping it back afterwards will likely be needed.

I had thought about taking a power source from the courtesy light near the rear view mirror for a dash cam - but the fuse box tap seemed to be the best reversible solution.

JoeS said:
Backup camera or dashcam? I'm running a dashcam and GPS and Android tablet and some USB ports off a multi-port set of outlets, all plugged into that poor 'cigarette lighter' outlet. Ugly, but it works.
I have a dashcam plugged into the outlet. I had wired the back-up cam to a blue wire on the heater fan, but it's voltage varies if the fan is running

I guess the best option might be to take apart the lower dash and add a few lighter outlets behind it to plug in everything which would tidy things up a lot and leave the OEM outlet free

Don

Don said:
There must be a wire somewhere there I can use as a 12 volt source to power a back-up camera - Anyone know what color wire to look for?

Thanks!

Don
The easiest place I can think of is the radio harness. If you want to make it 100% reversible, then you can pick up male and female adapters for Mitsubishi, wire them together, and plug this in between the car and radio. Now, you'll have the option to pull constant 12 volts or switched 12 volts (yellow is usually constant 12 volts, red is key-switched 12 volts).

When I had my Android head unit in the car, this is where I tapped 12 volt power to run the PlayStation.

Can anyone enlighten me on 12v cable behind the dash in a Minicab ? This one was modified by Mitsubishi for the japanese Post Office with a plate riveted over where I presume the ashtray used to live, and a blanking plug in the hole where the cigarette lighter lived. I can't see any loose wired hanging around but there should be one that belongs to the non-existent cigarette lighter. I'm reluctant to wade in there without knowing what to look for, although I suspect the wiring colours are similar to those used on the common or garden variety MiEV. if someone has had reason to check the colour codes on their cigarette lighter cable, I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks, will go looking for same colour in my Minicab. The only manual I have is all japanese and I don't understand even one symbol, although the book is so thin that I doubt it has much info anyway.

Back