Need EV BatMon Help in North Central New Jersey

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mievo

It's been a long time, but I again need help.

I just moved back to NJ. It's bitterly cold and my poor Florida raised iMiEV is not having it. My effective range is 34 miles; no heater, mixed town and rt. 22 driving. I would like to ask someone in north central New Jersey if I can use your ODBII scanner and EVBattmon. I never got around to it in Orlando, and I just can't afford the roughly $80 it would cost to perform the diagnostic.

Love,
Deven

If it was working normally hen you last drove it in Florida, I suspect what you're seeing now is probably the result of the bitter cold. I think you'll find when it warms up, things will be back to near normal

Don

A new owner just saw exactly the same thing down here with the cold snap--35 miles RR at full charge, plus later it thru the HV ! light. That was a big clue, because it was fixed by replacing the 12V aux battery. How old is your aux battery, they had the original and it had long exceeded normal lifetime, now RR is back to 58+.

Are you an electrically inclined DIY or looking for plug-n-play? There are inexpensive Arduino Can buss options if diy.

Joe S.

Orly? Canion would give me 0 info before and I assumed that to be my crap scanner. I will check the battery too. It may be original from 2012.

Okay I got working at a pretty decent paying job here in Jersey. I'll be able to afford a proper ScanGauge fairly soon. Something worth noting last couple of days, in particular today; after I was driving around trying to see if I can catch a train on move.

Getting back into my town with my station I was going to take the later train, I'm on the main drag with two bars and estimated 10 Mi range remaining; and it goes into Turtle mode. Immediately it drops down to 25 miles an hour, then 20, and then 15. I pulled over to let the car behind me go by with hazards on, and then I was able to get power back but for only about a quarter mile and then it started to shut down again. It's still got two bars and about 7 to 9 miles range remaining, but it won't exceed 20 miles an hour.

The most interesting aspect of today is that it was above freezing, 33° Fahrenheit. Many nights in the last 2 weeks where the temperature has been about 20°F or just above, if I have half a battery, it limits me to about 45 miles an hour maximum. It goes into Turtle mode with half a battery if I press the pedal more than 30%. The battery has to be damaged.

I'm going to get an OBDII reader soon, but if somebody can take their shot at driving my car and prove me wrong I'll shut up about it.

Mievo, perhaps its time to go to the dealer and plead your case, but before doing that I would prefer to know what that battery status is. That OBDLink LX or MX will serve you well in the future with just about any car.

I have finally coughed up money for an OBDLink LX. My amp hour rating stands at 31.6. That is not the only problem plaguing me at the moment; my differential gasket cracked and the transmission starved of oil, seized. I'm going to pull it out and see if a bearing wore out, and I have a few options to replace the transmission. None of them under warranty anymore it expired 3 or 4 months ago. I am having significant trouble posting screenshots from a mobile platform on this website.
My poor car ground to a literal halt on Route 22 in New Jersey. If any of you are familiar with the Newark Liberty International Airport exit off of Route 22; that right hand lane around the curve, on the overpass is exactly where the car stopped; if there is any sympathy to be gained.
I love my car but it is making it very difficult to love it. Feel like I'm driving a teenager.

P.S. mileage is just over 40300, or 64500 km

Sorry to hear about your breakdown.

Did canion show all your cells evenly matched in voltage, or is there a bad cell?

Do you think missing oil in the gearbox was a factor with your 2-bars-left turtle episode?

Back