DamnHippie

Want one, but cautious. Opinions please.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:59 am

Hello, brand new member, so be gentle.

We have decided to get our first EV come spring. We have narrowed it down to the Smart or the I-Miev for financial reasons of 8k max.

The Leaf seems to loose it's battery performance quite rapidly from what I've read in multiple places, and looking at their online listings, a 2-4 dash decline is common on two to three year old vehicles.

Now my concern. Mitsubishi announced it is killing the I-Miev after this model year. Have concerns of getting parts in the future if needed, and specifically a replacement battery if ever needed. With no more production and limited numbers in America anyway, I am concerned no R&D money will go into better (or cheaper) batteries in the future.

Smart announced they are killing the gas models to focus on the electric. Makes sense parts would be easier, and battery replacement as well. But it's a 2 seater and looks like a pregnant roller skate.

Comments, suggestions, gut feelings welcome !!

Thanks

Damn Hippie

Don
Site Moderator

Re: Want one, but cautious. Opinions please.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum! - There's lots to read here and much of that will address your worries pretty well I think

IMO, the time to be cautious was back in 2012 when we first adopters forked over $30K+ on a completely unknown quantity. I think the car has pretty much proven itself since then

The battery is warrantied until 2022 and after that, a new replacement is for all intents and purposes not a financially viable option - Even if you could find *something* new for $5K or so, the cost of getting something other than the OEM technology installed would be more than a 10 year old car would be worth

Usually when a battery fails, it's a single cell or two and you might be able to pick up a few used ones from wrecking yards by then . . . . if you could install them yourself

If this is your largest worry, I would suggest you up your maximum a bit and pick up a used 2016 model. The extra you pay would get you the latest cell technology which was not available in 2012, plus you would have a longer warranty

We bought our second one for $8K a couple years ago and when compared to what we paid for our original one, it was a real bargain. We knew the cars very well by that time, paid less than 1/3rd of what we paid for the original one and had way fewer 'worries' than we had originally

I think buying an $8K 2012 now, you're banking on the original battery warranty and when that runs out . . . . .

That's probably part of the reason you can buy them so cheaply

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

DamnHippie

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 am

Don,

Much thanks for the info.

You said the battery is warranted until 2012. I assume that is for a 2012 model, so a 2014 would have until 2024, correct?

Must have either read incorrect info elsewhere of mixed it up in my head somehow, so please clarify if you would. Assuming the battery is under warranty for 10 years, and applies to second, third, etc. owners as well, what exactly does it cover, and at what point is a replacement given?

I don't mind spending 6-8k on a car that will get me 6 years of use as long as the major and costliest potential problem is covered.

Much thanks again,

Mike

ChrisEV

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 am

Unless I’m missing something the battery warranty is only 8 years. It’s only good for battery failure which seems extremely rare. Battery degradation is expected and Mitsubishi won’t cover that(unless it’s really excessive perhaps). But these cars seem to hold up very well.

I just bought a 2012(low mileage) and I’m good until 2020.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

DamnHippie

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Thank you both for your help. It was very much appreciated.

It pains me a bit as I much prefer the look and 4way seating of the I-Miev, but think the Smart ED is the better option for my particular circumstances while considering possible future replacement parts.

I sincerely wish you all the very best and hope you enjoy the hell out of you Miev's. See you at a charging station one day !

Mike

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:55 pm

The factory battery warranty was 8 years or 100,000 miles and they extended that to 10 years in 2014 for all cars. True, it only covers a pack failure and they are fairly rare, but the degradation rally hasn't proven to be a major issue - It may be up to 30% by the time you have 100K on it, but an iMiEV with a 70% pack is still a very useful car, IMO. I'm not worried about either of ours. I wouldn't trade either of them for a pair of Smart ED's. Go take a test drive in both and come back and tell us what you think

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

ChrisEV

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Don wrote:The factory battery warranty was 8 years or 100,000 miles and they extended that to 10 years in 2014 for all cars. True, it only covers a pack failure and they are fairly rare, but the degradation rally hasn't proven to be a major issue - It may be up to 30% by the time you have 100K on it, but an iMiEV with a 70% pack is still a very useful car, IMO. I'm not worried about either of ours. I wouldn't trade either of them for a pair of Smart ED's. Go take a test drive in both and come back and tell us what you think

Don

Don, does that mean it’s 10 years for all i-MIEV cars or only 2014 models and newer?

Dealer told me I only had 8 years.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

iwatson

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am

Hello Damnhippie,

Just wanted to make sure you understand that the smart car does not come with a battery. The battery is provided as a lease only. Yes you can buy the car, but you must continue to lease the battery.

Another reason that I chose to jump in here was to invite you to my listing. I have a 2012 i-miev SE for sale and the warranty is for 10 years or 100,000 miles from Mitsubishi. The warranty is tracked on Mitsubishi's website based on the original in-service date of the vehicle, not by model year.

If you are interested, please check out my ad at: https://cargur.us/kllzz I'm asking a lot less than $8000

btw: In case you're wondering, no I'm not dissatisfied with the i-miev, on the contrary I'm very fond of them. I have three, and 7 vehicles total. insurance on 7 vehicles is eating up all my lunch money. So when you have more than you need, more than you can use, something's gotta go!
2012 Silver Mitsubishi iMiev ES with QC
2012 Raspberry Mitsubishi IMiev SE Premium with QC
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt Premium
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 LE
2001 Buick LeSabre custom
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LX

Blink 240V EVSE

iwatson

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:59 am

ChrisEV wrote:Don, does that mean it’s 10 years for all i-MIEV cars or only 2014 models and newer?

Mitsubishi made this change in 2014 but retroactively affecting all I-miev's in the U.S. Your dealer may be looking up the original warranty on the vehicle. You know many of them don't have much experience with this car.
2012 Silver Mitsubishi iMiev ES with QC
2012 Raspberry Mitsubishi IMiev SE Premium with QC
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt Premium
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 LE
2001 Buick LeSabre custom
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LX

Blink 240V EVSE

ChrisEV

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 am

iwatson wrote:
ChrisEV wrote:Don, does that mean it’s 10 years for all i-MIEV cars or only 2014 models and newer?

Mitsubishi made this change in 2014 but retroactively affecting all I-miev's in the U.S. Your dealer may be looking up the original warranty on the vehicle. You know many of them don't have much experience with this car.

Not sure if it matters but I’m in Canada.

The dealership I bought the car from knew nothing about it.

However the Mitsubishi dealer where the car was originally bought is near me. I’ll give them a call.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”