Which OBD scan tool should I buy using caniOn app

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOevn

Hello ...

I downloaded caniOn app today but I'm not sure which OBD scan tool I should buy.
Found this ... ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth on amazon but it says that is not to be used with
electric vehicles or maybe it can and amazon is wrong

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511562381&sr=1-1&keywords=OBDLink+LX&condition=new

Newbie to this site and after reading these great forums I'm very curios to see how my 2012 miev is actually doing after all this time.
Still has great range .. never had a problem
Any suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated .. I'd hate to buy the wrong OBD and screw up my car

GOevn

That looks like the right one, here is a link directly from the source:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/

The reason it says not made to work with electric cars is related to the apps that gasoline cars use to read the DTCs, diagnostic trouble codes, e.g. Torque or OBDLink, etc. The DTCs for electric cars are unique to each manufacturer and have nothing in common with the ICE cars. If you run Torque or other OBD app made for ICE it won't read any DTCs.

But the LX will report all the cell and pack data which you want to see over bluetooth radio to an Android device, and Xavier and Martin's app will let you see what is happening. If you need to read or clear DTCs you will need a MUT or mut clone such as icarsoft i909.

If you have another car, nearly any ICE vehicle, the LX will read data and DTCs over bluetooth using the ICE apps, e.g. OBDLink. i have used it on several vehicles to troubleshoot codes and reset. So it is a very useful tool to have for a mixed fleet of cars.

Thanks ..

I just ordered it this morning same day delivery .. can't wait .. should be interesting to see

Peeps on this site are awesome ..

GOevn

I have this exact adapter and it works with Cani0n.

However I’ve only gotten it to sync with my Samsung Galaxy Tab4 once.

Every time since it refuses to pair stating “incorrect PIN”. It connects and before I can hit accept the prompt just closes and it comes back with that error.

I have to fix my Lenovo and see if it’s the Samsung or the adapter....

Does it make a difference if the miev is on and then plug in the OBD ..
.. or plug in the OBD first and then turn the miev on

Turn off bluetooth, then while in the presence of the dongle (press the BT button) re-enable BT on the device--it should scan for available BT devices and the OBDLink will show on the list. click to select and OK when it asks to pair. It has lost it's original pairing and will need to be re-paired.

i have to do this nearly everytime i want to connect, but i'm switching between 2 kievs so not surprised.

i always turn BT off to save battery power on my phones, it is a power hog and is always running scans.

@GO, it doesn't matter--the OBD port always has 12V power running to it on pin 16.

Well I finally got it to work .. very cool
The only way I got it pair up to my phone was

step 1 .. with the car totally off .. no key in ignition .. plug in the OBD
step 2 .. go to my phone .. run bluetooth scan .. OBD is now available
step 3 .. when passkey is prompt .. hit OK .. it paired up
step 4 .. turn the miev on .. to ready .. and cani0n will read

If it fails to read press the tiny green reset button on the OBDlink LX device
it seems that the OBD is timed out after 2min

GOevn

Back