110 Volt Charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielk04

Dan here, 2012 SE Premium Miev on a truck (somewhere) enroute to me as we speak. Correct me as needed.
The Mitsubishi factory 110 EVSE only charges at an 8 amp rate. Yes?
If i use my factory Chevy Volt 110 EVSE which can charge a Volt at 12 amps, when plugged in to the Miev, I will have 12 amps delivered to the Miev. Yes? No?

Dan the Man, forum member in good standing.

Yes and yes!

A popular modification is to have your Panasonic EVSE 'upgraded' to 12 amps, L1 & L2 - This will allow you to also charge at 12 amps using 240 volts, which is twice as fast as 12 amps at 120 volts

Check out http://www.evseupgrade.com

Actually, there is no such thing as 110 volts in North America. Household current is 240 volts AC phase to phase and that gives you 120 volts AC between either phase an neutral. If you're actually reading 110 volts, something is amiss - Too long a cord with too small a wire gauge maybe??

Don

Thanks for the second "yes" answer. That was the most important one.
If anything, my mod request for EVSE Upgrade would be to take the Mitsu charger up to 12 amps.
My actual loaded voltage at the socket is 117 volts. I just meant L1 in the original post.
For L2 I have a hard wired Tesla HPWC set for up to 48 amps. All I need is that nice $350.00 J1772 adapter for my high performance Mitsu Innovative Electric Vehicle.

The EVSEUpgrade is a total upgrade that not only takes level 1 to 12 amps, but adds level 2 at 13 amps and allows adjustable current. This is accomplished by jumping the pilot and proximity pins with a paper clip and pressing the release button for the number of amps that you want (8 presses = 8 amps). Note that jumping pins only works on EVSEUpgraded units.

But yes, your Volt cord will charge the I-MiEV at 12 amps (which in itself almost halves the charge time).

Back