So I bought the i-Miev.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aivar

Always wondered about EV and about month ago went to a EV show in downtown Tulsa. Yes, that is in Oklahoma. After that I started to think about it and found 2014 ES for sale in Michigan with less than 300 miles on it. I figured $9000 is good price and now waiting for the delivery. Should arrive next few days.
We don't have a strong charging infrastructure here and I live 23 miles from work. My workplace is looking into putting up a plug for me to charge with Level 1. So that would give me enough juice to make it back home with some extra miles for errands. I suggested dedicated 20 amp GCFI plug. Any thoughts?
I signed up with ChargePoint and PlugShare and contacted and visited some charging points to be sure these are as they say.
I also have AAA to get me home 24h/7.
So here are questions I still have not worked out?
My i-Miev comes with Level1 charger but I would like to install Level2 also in my house?
Electric work is easy for me and I have plenty of amps at my home but need suggestions what equipment to buy. How reliable are these and should I have spares. What type of extension cords do you have for unplanned charging on the road? Money is an issue for me so I looking for lower priced options.
Also what is better for the battery Level 1 or 2?
Is there level 3 for 14 iMiev?
Nearest EV charging for me is for Teslas. Is there a way to hook up iMiev to it?
What do you think about getting OBDLink LX and CaniOn and EVBatteryMon? Is there solution out for iPhones?
I have lot more questions but I think this is enough for now.
Anyways any suggestion to me is appreciated!

Thanks.

Does the Level1 use all the 16amp and flip the fuse? Most circuits are rated for 15amp.

Welcome, and congratulations.

To answer some of your questions, the 2014 model has level 3 (DC quick charging) standard. The release lever for this port is beside the driver seat on the floor and allows you to plug into CHAdeMO quick chargers.

Leve 1 and level 2 charging are handled by the J1772 port on the passenger side of the car. The release handle is where the hood release lever typically is on other cars at the bottom of the dash (has a plug icon on it). Charging at either level 1 or level 2 doesn't make much difference to battery longevity. Level 2 is considerably faster, though.

On level 1, I believe the 2014 models ship with a selectable amperage cable that can pull either 8 or 12 amps, both safe for a 15 amp, dedicated circuit.

For level 2 charging, a 20-amp circuit and a 16 amp EVSE will be more than enough to charge the I-MiEV at full speed, as it maxes out around 14 amps. Since you plan on charging at work, you can pick up an OpenEVSE unit for less than $500. If you're electrically inclined, you can buy the kit version and assemble it yourself for $249 (https://store.openevse.com/collections/frontpage/products/openevse-50a-charge-station-combo-with-enclosure). The pre-assembled version is $479. I know these are both overkill, but I just received my OpenEVSE unit a couple weeks ago and am really liking it so far (bought it for my Bolt EV). I have no affiliation with them. Over-sizing the EVSE would future-proof you in-case you upgrade EVs down the road. If you're installing in the garage, then simply installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet and plugging the unit in is about all there is to charging.

There is a small trick with charging that you can do to be kinder to the battery. I've found that level 2 charging results in less heat buildup in the battery pack, so during the summer, I wait until bedtime and then start charging on level 2. The car finishes in less than 5 hours, so it has the rest of the morning until I leave to cool down. In the winter, I use level 1 and start charging after I eat dinner. The longer charge time keeps the battery warmer for better range and regen in the winter, and the shorter charge time in the summer lets the battery charge quickly and then cool down before driving.

A 46-mile round trip drive should be quite doable without workplace charging. I typically exceed the 62-mile EPA range when driving on main roads at speeds between 35-50 MPH.

Thanks for information. This is really helpful to me.

Am little puzzled about the $500 kit you suggested for charging. I find Level 2 chargers on ebay for $178. What am I missing here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Electric-Car-Charger-Vehicle-Charging-Cable-Cord-16A-EVSE-Level-2-Sell-/322505876142?epid=894304871&hash=item4b16d922ae:g:HLQAAOSwy3NZYzZI&vxp=mtr

Welcome! You'll love the car and it sounds like it will work for you just fine. With only a 46 mile round trip to work, you will probably find you won't need to recharge many places other than at home. An L2 EVSE would be a good first purchase. Most of the charging site you pay for are quite expensive for the amount of charge you get for the $$$

The 'charger' is built into the car and it limited to a maximum of about 3.3 Kw, no matter what you plug it into - What you're looking at buying is the Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE) which is a 'smart cord' to attach the car's charger to the power mains you'll use to recharge it with

There are all sorts of EVSE's out there these days, some much better than others and with prices to match

Don

Your looking at duosida chargers on epay, they are about $140-$160 factory direct and work fine, but do yourself a favor check out the thread on mynissanleaf and buy direct, no sense paying a middleman for the same cord

Aivar said:
Thanks for information. This is really helpful to me.

Am little puzzled about the $500 kit you suggested for charging. I find Level 2 chargers on ebay for $178. What am I missing here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Electric-Car-Charger-Vehicle-Charging-Cable-Cord-16A-EVSE-Level-2-Sell-/322505876142?epid=894304871&hash=item4b16d922ae:g:HLQAAOSwy3NZYzZI&vxp=mtr

Aivar said:

Did you check the shipping price?

It is only $500.00!!!!!

Aivar, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. In addition to the above responses, might I add -
Aivar said:
...My workplace is looking into putting up a plug for me to charge with Level 1. So that would give me enough juice to make it back home with some extra miles for errands. I suggested dedicated 20 amp GCFI plug. Any thoughts?
Sure, 120vac over a workday will easily fully recharge your car for the drive home, although the only time you might really need it is in the dead of winter.
Aivar said:
My i-Miev comes with Level1 charger but I would like to install Level2 also in my house?
Before you buy, you might consider making that L2 EVSE removable so you can take it with you whenever you go on a long trip and might need to charge on the road - for example, whenever I visit distant friends I plug into their dryer outlets in their garage. Wire your house for a 14-50 outlet, install a 14-50 plug on the EVSE, and make a few adapters. That 14-50 outlet will allow for your next higher-power electric car. ;)
Aivar said:
What type of extension cords do you have for unplanned charging on the road?
Reality is that you should never have unplanned charging on the road, unless you venture out on a long trip. A 50' #12AWG (or #10AWG) extension for your existing Mitsu EVSE will be fine, but you will probably never use it as you will usually try to find 240vac outlets.
Aivar said:
Nearest EV charging for me is for Teslas. Is there a way to hook up iMiev to it?
Nothing for Tesla's DC chargers, and there is at least one adapter out there for Tesla's 240vac HPWC, but it's too expensive.
Aivar said:
What do you think about getting OBDLink LX and CaniOn and EVBatteryMon? Is there solution out for iPhones?
I consider those apps very nice but most people can live without them. For me it was worth getting an Android tablet just to use them. EVBatMon has an iPhone version.

Have fun, and practice getting a feel for the exact distances you normally drive in your surroundings and how much 'fuel' is required - you'll quickly understand your limits. For my lifestyle of around 1000 miles/month, I almost never fully charge the i-MiEV, rarely come home with fewer than two bars, and have never seen turtle.

i have my i-miev for a couple of months, and like you i am thinking of installing level 2 (240 volts) charging,
have in mind that your level 1 evse has 2 level of charging (8 and 12 amps) so far i am using the 120 volts outlet at 12 amps and it is doing the job. The level 2 charging will be charging at 16 amps, so this doen't worth the expenses.
You will save time but who cares, your car is charging all night and ready in the morning, no difference for you whether 12 amps or 16 amps.
I don't think i will go for the 240 evse.

gbazinet said:
You will save time but who cares, your car is charging all night and ready in the morning, no difference for you whether 12 amps or 16 amps.
But the Level 2 is charging at twice the voltage and there is a significant decrease in charging time compared to a Level 1 at 12A.

Level 2-16A (actually closer to 13A) is 3 times faster than a Level 1-8A and 2 times faster than a Level 1-12A.

gbazinet said:
*If* you live where it's cold and *if* you would like to leave in the morning in a toasty warm car, then L2 might be a good investment for you. L1 doesn't preheat the car very well, where L2 will get it toasty warm in just a few minutes. The heater in the car can use ALL of the 3.3 Kw that the L2 EVSE provides

Don

veimi said:
Aivar said:

It is only $500.00!!!!!

Shipping is free or included in $178.

Don said:
gbazinet said:
*If* you live where it's cold and *if* you would like to leave in the morning in a toasty warm car, then L2 might be a good investment for you. L1 doesn't preheat the car very well, where L2 will get it toasty warm in just a few minutes. The heater in the car can use ALL of the 3.3 Kw that the L2 EVSE provides

Don

Oklahoma where I live has all the high and low temperatures so I bought the $178 level 2 charger. i-Miev comes with special heat remote that activates the heater before I need to start the drive.

That cheap Duosida charger has been charging MR BEAN and the boss's i-MiEV at my wife's office for almost a year now. Only complaint is that the handle tolerances are tight and requires more insertion effort- several times early on she noticed that it failed to latch and start charging...
The 2.5MM wire is just a hair thinner than 10 gauge, so that should be fine for 16A over the long term.
However, she's using it indoors only, and the gland nuts appear loose enough on the cable to allow water intrusion. I'd be hesitant to leave it outside without a closer inspection.

Have you tried it on both 120V and 240V input?

Aivar said:
veimi said:
Aivar said:

It is only $500.00!!!!!

Shipping is free or included in $178.

Confused because the link above indicates that the shipping price is $500.

First month plus I have driven 1500 miles and having fun. I charge using mostly the Mitsu 8 and 12A charger and sometimes plug in the 16A for little faster. Also purchased the 240V charger but still need to wire in the Nema 50amp plug. Hopefully next weekend. Wait weekend is tomorrow!!!
Car did not come with arm rest between the seats so I bought one from ebay for $30. Works great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Black-Leather-Center-Console-Armrest-Storage-Box-W-Cup-Holder-for-Toyota-ND/382192957835?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also I did not find pump or flat tools on my 2014 i. Anybody know where these might be? I found a donut left from one of my ICE cars that fits.

Sometimes the alarm beeps when I lock the car and sometimes not?

The air pump and tire sealant are located under the right rear seat . There are no tools although the styrofoam holder is molded to hold a tire tool or tow eye bolt--but since there is no spare they figured you didn't need a jack or lug wrench...

1700 miles, got the 50amp plug and hooked up Level 2. Bought it on https://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Car-Charger-Level-2-32A-240V-25-Cord-14-50-Plug-6-times-faster/112511852975?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
But the price was about $289 when I got it with shipping and it has gone up little since then. This works nice and gives fast charge and toasty interior if remote heat is used.

I am still looking for the tire pump. When I pulled the back seat up I found some type of electronics. In the trunk there is an empty compartment on the passenger side.

There should be metal shields under the rear seat, the left side covers the BMU, EV-ECU and Air Conditioning Controller with lots of wires running around. Under the right side shield is the tire kit. There should be some thumb-screw type wingnuts that bolt the shield to the body so these will have to be removed to get to the air pump. Or someone has been in there before?

Back