mannyaguilar

Shifter Back Light

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am

I wonder if my i-MiEV SE (2012) has a blown light that lights up under the shifter (to see the P R D E B) or the cars just come like that, without that back lighting. If it comes like that, has anyone installed a back light?

joev

Re: Shifter Back Light

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 am

No back light :( . The only info about shift lever position is in the instrument cluster to the left, opposite the battery gauge (and on the shifter of course). Not very convenient but you get use to it.

mannyaguilar

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 am

joev wrote:No back light :( . The only info about shift lever position is in the instrument cluster to the left, opposite the battery gauge (and on the shifter of course). Not very convenient but you get use to it.

Thanks! Just what I thought but wanted to be sure. Most car have it. Maybe I will work a hack! ;)

veimi

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Just a head's up.

Don't necessarily trust the position of the shifter. Always check the dash indicator.

Couldn't start my car and after much aggravation discovered that even though the shifter was in Park, the indicator was not. There is a mechanical adjustment on the left side of the transmission housing and others have suggested lubing the cable.

Don
Site Moderator

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Honestly, I could not have told you if it was back-lit or not - Two cars, 5+ years now, we both pull it all the way back to 'B' and leave it there . . . . you know it's in the right gear because the shifter won't go any further back AND it slows down when you lift your foot off the 'go' pedal

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

mannyaguilar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 am

Don wrote:Honestly, I could not have told you if it was back-lit or not - Two cars, 5+ years now, we both pull it all the way back to 'B' and leave it there . . . . you know it's in the right gear because the shifter won't go any further back AND it slows down when you lift your foot off the 'go' pedal

Don

Wait, wait, you don't drive in eco? You drive in B all the time? I though B was only for driving down hill. I guess you can tell I've had my i-MiEV for only 2 weeks!

mannyaguilar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 am

veimi wrote:Just a head's up.

Don't necessarily trust the position of the shifter. Always check the dash indicator.

Couldn't start my car and after much aggravation discovered that even though the shifter was in Park, the indicator was not. There is a mechanical adjustment on the left side of the transmission housing and others have suggested lubing the cable.

Thanks for the heads up!

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:35 am

mannyaguilar wrote:Wait, wait, you don't drive in eco? You drive in B all the time? I though B was only for driving down hill. I guess you can tell I've had my i-MiEV for only 2 weeks!
We have more than 50,000 miles driving only in B mode. Once you get used to the 'one pedal' concept, it gives you the greatest range. Anytime you use friction braking, you're wasting watts of 'go power'

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

mannyaguilar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:41 am

Don wrote:
mannyaguilar wrote:Wait, wait, you don't drive in eco? You drive in B all the time? I though B was only for driving down hill. I guess you can tell I've had my i-MiEV for only 2 weeks!
We have more than 50,000 miles driving only in B mode. Once you get used to the 'one pedal' concept, it gives you the greatest range. Anytime you use friction braking, you're wasting watts of 'go power'

Don

I'll give it a try!

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”