DocJr

Re: Battery Replacement - Lessons Learned

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:02 pm

Hello San Diego i MiEV owner,

I too have a 2012 that is getting tired (down to about 40 miles if I am really easy on the pedal). I wanted to know which dealer replaced the batteries as I was told a couple of years ago that we had to go to Anaheim. Thanks.

DocJr

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Oh, and my car was made in March, 2012. So no "N" batteries I would presume :(

siai47

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 am

I don't know if it means anything or not but I had two I-MiEV's built in 2012 about three months apart. I had the pack out of both of them and noticed the pack in the earlier car had cells wrapped in a blue colored vinyl and the later car had cells covered in yellow vinyl. Other than that the batteries looked physically the same. Maybe that was a simple identifier of the "N" cell vs. the older style cell.

jray3

Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 pm

Siai47, thank you so much for coming back to this forum once in a while and sharing your hard earned knowledge! Very soon I will be replacing my pack with a slightly newer collision salvage pack and will try to take a look at the cell colors in the process .
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

acensor

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:14 pm

"...I now also have a new Chevy Bolt, which is 10X the car that the Miev is..."

As I mentioned in another post, even though I don't own one, I rather like the Volt...... particularly now that there are good used ones out there coming off lease at prices that make them very attractive to the kind of buyer whose use pattern fits the Volt well and who understands what they're buying.
As someone else alluded to in this thread, one of its several well engineered features is the ease of replacing individual bad or substandard cells in the battery pack.

If I were to own only one vehicle the Volt would be at or near the top of my short list.
And, wouldn't you know it...... Chevy will stop making the Volt after the end of this model year per what I've read/heard.
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV (~65%)
2015 Subaru Forester CVT
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:52 am

At the risk of venturing further OT, I have heard the same for the Volt. March 2019 is the end of the line. Probably several reasons:

1. Tesla Model 3
2. Chevy Bolt cannibalizing sales (100% electric and goes almost as far for nearly the same price)
3. GM re-structuring to go after Ford on truck/SUV front (no more sedans)
4. Charging infrastructure is growing fast.

In my area when talking EVs, it used to be the Volt as a recommendation for single-car owner that does both short trips and occasional long trips. Now, the recommendation is almost always Model 3 or used Model S (with the occasional Prius/C-Max for serious road-trippers), and the Bolt for someone who stays fairly local (Tesla's charging network is tough to beat).

It won't be long until the Model 3 is the only American brand sedan that anyone will be able to buy. Ford stopped all cars except Mustang for 2020, Chevy's gutting it's lineup (Impala is the latest victim), and Dodge only has the Charger, Challenger, and Ram as it's entire lineup.

To bring this back on topic a bit, Mitsubishi has been pretty good at replacing defective/failed packs (won't charge to 16 bars), but expect a challenge when trying to get a replacement due to reduced range (still charges to 16 bars, but doesn't go far), considering that most of us had to sign a waiver acknowledging the differences of what's covered under the battery warranty. I still wonder when 3rd party cells will be available. Shouldn't be too difficult to pack a box with 18650 or 2170 cells, although I'm personally not too concerned about that at the moment since I've designated my i-MiEVs as collector cars and both are parked for the winter. The Bolt is my daily driver now.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

acensor

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Apologies for feeding this off-topic branch of the thread....
But, re....
"......At the risk of venturing further OT, I have heard the same for the Volt. March 2019 is the end of the line. Probably several reasons:
1. Tesla Model 3
2. Chevy Bolt cannibalizing sales (100% electric and goes almost as far for nearly the same price)...."

IMO one really can't say a Bolt "goes almost as far" as a Volt.
I get that you might mean "on one charge plus one full 9 gallon tank of gasoline"....
which with works out to about 355 to 400 miles.
It's not just that with that take that the Volt handily beats the Bolt's admittedly impressive ~200 miles.
But the real reason that statement's really unfair is that the Volt's range is essentially unlimited because you can pull into the next gas station and in 5 minutes you're good for another ~300 miles.
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV (~65%)
2015 Subaru Forester CVT
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 pm

That's right. The Gen2 Volts go further. :oops: My comparison was with a Gen1 Volt.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

SuzanneParrish

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Today I paid $240 to have Mitsubishi tell me my 40 miles per charge on my 2012 iMiEV is normal. I still love my car, but this is depressing. I'm told that the battery shouldn't degrade much further. I hope this is the case. Drive 40 minutes, charge for three hours; whoo-hoo!

kiev

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Sorry to hear Suzanne. Where are you located, maybe someone close by can use one of the phone apps (Canion or Hobdrive or the other one) to do an independent check on whether your pack is normal or defective and you are entitled to a new pack under warranty. Or you could buy the dongle for $50 bucks and load the app for your phone.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”