"Secret Box"

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterbleepy

A user on the SpeakEV forum (a mainly UK based general EV forum) has posted about a secret compartment in the iMiev dashboard.
If you put your hand into the recess above the glovebox and feel the top, you should find an oval opening, which you can put your fingers in to pull down a flap.
It is present on my RHD iON, and I have already used the space to put my little ipod in that I leave connected to the USB connector in the car.
Here is the post, which includes a diagram from the iMiev manual, and a photo to illustrate:
https://speakev.com/threads/the-secret-box.41785/
I'm pretty sure I've not seen mention of this before, so I hope this is news to you, and is useful :)

EDIT - I took a look at the tech manual linked to in that thread, and it looks like this might be a RHD only feature - do LHD cars have the open tray above the passenger side glovebox?

Excitedly, I went looking… sadly, North American i-MiEVs do not have this little cubbyhole. I thought that maybe the NA airbags may intrude, but the volume above the glove compartment is there, just not the "box".

From the looks of it, the hidden compartment is in the mail slot of the passenger-side dash, something that NA i-MiEVs don't have.

phb10186 said:
Its Right hand drive only, very useful, and it's mentioned in the owners manual, well its in mine.
I think I will try and find a PDF of the Mitsubishi manual - my Peugeot manual makes no mention of this, nor of the cubby under the steering wheel - heaven knows what else I am missing info on ;-)

JoeS said:
misterbleepy said:
... - my Peugeot manual makes no mention of this, nor of the cubby under the steering wheel -...
What cubby under the steering wheel :?: :shock:

How else are you supposed to use it??

This last pic doesn't show the cubby in the prev pic, but it is there.

No cup holder on RHD behind the hand brake though... :evil:

Ta for those pictures phb10186 :)

wmcbrine said:
Curious, these differences between the LHD and RHD versions. I'd have thought they'd just flip everything.

They'd have to flip the whole car, not just the dash, otherwise steering left would make the car go right ;-)

There's no room for a cubby below the steering wheel in the US cars, we get the knee shredders...

P8jqgNL.jpg

yes behind the plastic panel in front of your knees--with razor sharp edges too. See previous discussion here:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2680&p=22556#p22556

kiev said:
yes behind the plastic panel in front of your knees--with razor sharp edges too. See previous discussion here:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2680&p=22556#p22556

Those are indeed absent on the RHD model... there is one right-angled bracket holding the dash which is significantly smaller than those, and then nothing else other than and wiring, and plastic stuf there. No evidence on the left side of anything like that either.

Perhaps these are required due to the wider car and use of standard dash on the USDM car, thus need for an alternative fixing.

Kiev, does it look like those brackets are for crash worthiness? Those look awfully thick for a simple support application. If they're absolutely superfluous, weight reduction bro?

Back