rkarl89203

Re: Charging Down Route 66

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Today is day 27 on our Journey. We relaxed at Comfort Inn in Gallup, had a great breakfast, unplugged the car and left. Taking a right turn out of the parking lot, we headed for the Manuelito area. In 2 miles we couldnt help but notice the large bull heading for the road. Missing him and continuing on we readied to go under I-40 to continue on old 66. That is when we noticed the barricade. The road was closed. So, going backwards past where we started we got on I-40 to go around the obstruction. It took us about 6 miles. Getting back on old 66 we drove past Manuelito and reached the Arizona border. At Lupton the trading posts began. Spent hours shopping and exploring side roads.
Finally at Sanders took another part of old 66 and encountered a small group of horses grazing on and next to the road. Awesome!
After most of the day exploring and dodging the occasional bull and horse,
And shopping we landed at Days Inn in Chambers AZ. Charging L1 for free!
Today we drove 54 miles!

ed5000

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:36 am

JoeS wrote:
rkarl89203 wrote:I tried 3 different photo sharing sites and gave up.
I joined Facebook and joined the Route 66 Electric Car Club. You can find most of our best photos there.
Link? I went looking, but am Facebook illiterate after giving up in disgust a few years ago at the randomness and inanity of the majority of family and friends' postings. :evil:

I also wish they could let you look without signing in. Anyone got a low level generic password?
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

rkarl89203

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi all...
Today was day 28 on our journey and it was great. Left Chambers days inn with 79 miles RR. As there is no good way to drive the old route from Chambers, drove on I-40 to Petrified Forest NP. Arrived at the visitors centre with 43RR. Plugged into the Chargepoint L2. Great Charger. Had breakfast at the Fred Harvey Cafeteria. Shopped extensively LOL.
After that, unplugged and explored the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert for most of the day. Easily pulled into the visitor centre at the other end of the park and plugged into the Chargepoint charger there.
After watching the free visitor centre movie, went down to the Fred Harvey fountain for ice cream. Unplugged and drove to Holbrook where we checked into the Quality Inn where we are charging L1. Note: went out
To dinner with David Heward, founder of the Route 66 Electric Car club.
We were honored to meet him after conversing on Facebook for quite a time. Today we drove 87 miles.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Yay, today you crossed 2000 trip miles! Nice to see those charging stations at both ends of Petrified Forest National Park. In your Facebook photos I see you have a couple of teddy-bear traveling companions - doesn't everyone? :P
With a RR of 79, you're getting great hypermiling (or downhill or tailwind) results! All your excellent planning is paying off. I'm impressed by the number of charging opportunities across Arizona.
Trip data spreadsheet updated.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

rkarl89203

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks JoeS...
Yep...one of those traveling companions in actually a bunny...
Given to us by rich henry, proprietor of the route 66 rabbit ranch, in illinois.
Arizona is a bit odd so far on charging. Yesterday morning was L1 but isnt really anything but a emergency charge situation since we had to run the extension out of our room door lol. The L2 Chargers at Petrified Forest/Painted Desert are great! We stopped at Quality Inn at Holbrook because all of the Choice hotels let us charge L1 at their outside outlets. Appears the entire chain has an EV friendly tendency.
Onward to Meteor Crater, will be
'Standing on the corner in Winslow AZ.'
Hopefully will get to Flagstaff today.

rkarl89203

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 am

Day 29 was certifiably weird. After charging to full at Quality Inn in Holbrook, headed down the road.
Topped off Charge in Joseph City at Normas RV Park for $5. Went on to winslow. Great lunch at Falcon Family Restaurant. Went down and "stood on the corner." left for Flagstaff. About 5 miles west of Winslow the headwinds began. We found out later they were about 40-45 mph.Limped along as our range crashed. Made it to Meteor Crater RV Patk with 13RR. Charged car with NEMA 14-50 hookup for a reasonable $10. As we were relaxing while charging a lady came in and said a truck had exploded on the interstate.
Went outside and sure enough a huge fire in the westbound lanes. As we finished charging the westbound lanes were still closed. Went 20 miles east back to Winslow and stayed at Quality Inn. Charged to full with free L1.
Drove a bit over 60 total miles, but only made 20 miles forward progress. Weird day. .not bad..but weird.

rkarl89203

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Today is day 30!
We charged to full in Winslow. Drove to
Meteor Crater. Visited for the first time since 1973. Selinda has never been there. We left highly impressed.
Afterwards we dropped by the Meteor Crater RV park. Charged to full for $10. Great charge. Drove to Flagstaff at the Village Inn restaurant.
Good Food. Explored much of Flagstaff
And then charged for 2 hours at the NAU parking Garage. Free charge but $4 parking fee. Then further explored Flagstaff before driving to Williams where we are staying overnight. Charging at L1 at Comfort Inn. Expensive room but free charging!
Today we drove 105 miles!
Great day...no wind!

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:53 pm

At 105 miles, this is the best mileage you've done in one day during this trip. Hey, you're getting in a lot of touristing!
Trip data spreadsheet updated.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Phximiev

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:29 am

Hope you enjoyed Williams. We've been up in that neck of the woods on several occasions, in particular to take the train to the Grand Canyon, which if you have time, I greatly encourage!

Enjoy your trip!
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

rkarl89203

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks phximiev sorry we missed you.
In Seligman right now at Delgadillos Snow Cap. Staying at Grand Canyon Caverns tonite.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”