Electrical chaos

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithim

2012 ES model.
I couldn't find my car keys. When I found them in the ignition of the car all the lights were blinking at me and there was a strange clicking noise. I think I left the car turned on ( I had just returned from a trip) and plugged in the level one charger then went into the house. My last act was to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
Anyone else have a similar event happen to them?
Thanks in advance.

Nothing like that. When the battery in Koorz got run down, attempting to start resulted in an error message in the RR display and a solid, low tone. Lights weren't flashing, though.

Follow up:
After running an errand (in another vehicle) I returned and checked the 12 volt battery voltage with the negative lead still disconnected:
12.41v so... the battery probably wasn't the problem.
Reconnected the terminal and all seems well. "Ready" light came on and other indicator lights came on then went off normally.
Charging light on.
I think I may have also left the lights on when I walked away from the car originally yet the battery voltage seemed OK when it was checked later.
Keep charged my friend.

Disconnecting the negative terminal from the 12 volt battery while plugged into L1 charging with the keys left in the ignition must have caused the car's computer to do a double take - That's a scenario not to be repeated I think

Don

I'm surprised the car would even start charging with the 12v battery disconnected… aaah, I just re-read your post: you first started charging through the J1772 port and then disconnected the 12v battery after the car was charging.

What happened is that the dc-dc converter voltage regulator went into a steady-state voltage limit (14.5v?) and just sat there. You're lucky (or Mitsubishi engineers anticipated this eventuality) that nothing went wrong

Lithim, what I would have done after discovering the problem is turn the key off and let the car sit for a few minutes and then measured the 12v battery voltage. If it was above 10.5vdc I would have simply plugged in the J1772 connector and seen what happens. If the voltage was less than 10.5vdc or close to it, I would plug in a 12v charger for a short while to bring up the 12v battery voltage before plugging in J1772. As soon as the car starts charging then the dc-dc takes over and continues charging the 12v battery.

Once again, it was not a good idea to disconnect the 12v battery once the car started charging.

Edit: gotta talk to our admin as the above post shows all this unnecessary linking to charger or volt (I wrote it in lower case) or J1772 :evil:

My comment with the 12 volt battery was poorly worded.
What I meant to say was the 12 volt negative connection was done after I had disconnected the EVSE and turned off the key. I was still getting a strange clicking noise with the key off as if a relay was opening and closing.
Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for all the comments.
Car seems fine now.
Stay charged my friend.

Back