Evgo network?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbuilder

This nrg evgo network seems to have no way to check what you were charged until it hits your credit card?

I took a trip to the mall 42 miles away today to try out the evgo dcfast charger. It is the only one easily in range from my rural location, although once I hit that one I could skip around the DC area between other fast charge locations.

Anyway, the charger worked great. Did a session to 82 or 83% where it stopped, I suspect I was charged $4.95+20 cents per minute for that, it was something like 12-15 minutes. Then I reinitiated a session and went to 97% where i cut it off. I'm fairly certain I was charged again, did have to tap the card a second time, but there is no where to check your activity on the website? Most bizarre, less user friendly than charge point, but the only fast charge option around here.

mdbuilder said:
This nrg evgo network seems to have no way to check what you were charged until it hits your credit card?
Yeah, seems that way. :(

Did a session to 82 or 83% where it stopped, I suspect I was charged $4.95+20 cents per minute for that, it was something like 12-15 minutes. Then I reinitiated a session and went to 97% where i cut it off. I'm fairly certain I was charged again, did have to tap the card a second time, but there is no where to check your activity on the website? Most bizarre, less user friendly than charge point, but the only fast charge option around here.
I had some problems, my last time at an EVgo station -- I started multiple sessions before I got it working, and I was worried I'd be facing a horrific bill. But, in fact, they ended up not charging me at all. (This was at the Enchanted Forest station.)

Unlike the other networks, with nrg EVgo one cannot find out what the costs and kWhr are until the bill comes (if it comes).

I'm afraid I minimize my use of nrg EVgo whenever possible, as their rate structure makes it uneconomical to take long trips in the i-MiEV (so I got a Tesla :twisted: ); nevertheless, I'll give them credit for always being reliable as I never once had a problem with their CHAdeMO.

Here's the latest on the transition of EVgo ownership from nrg to Vision Ridge Partners:
http://insideevs.com/with-legal-set...now-officially-sold-to-vision-ridge-partners/
Some of the comments are interesting.

There are aspects of ChargePoint I really like (most of the platform really), and there are things about Greenlots I like, but EVGo is really lacking in details. I certainly hope they make their network reliable for the lack of data and the price.

Western PA just got a bunch of units installed. The one I used didn't show any issues, but it maxed out at 32 kW.

You'd need a stop watch and a calculator to figure out the wattage on the charger I was at today. All it gave you info wise was the kw in and elapsed time.

The evgo rates are a little high, don't mind the fiest session but the fact tge car cuts it off is super annoying.

EVgo has recently moved into the southern Arizona region. A local i-MiEV-owning friend (in our local EV club but not on this list) told me of the 100 mile journey he took from Tucson to Phoenix, to have the dealership perform warranty work. The town of Casa Grande is on the main I-10 route between the two cities at roughly the half way point (a little closer to Phoenix, actually.) Our i-MiEV driver arrived at the EVgo L3 in Casa Grande with an almost empty battery. He got up to the nominal 80% full mark within 20 minutes of plugging in and I seem to remember him saying that it ended up being around $11 or $12.

So, finally got an e-mailed statement for that quick charge session.

Monthly Subscription Charge of Flex Plan
$0.000

DC Charging Summary
DC Charge Sessions DC Charge Duration Total DC Charging
2 Session(s) @ $4.950/session = $9.900 28 Min(s) @ $0.200000/min = $5.600 $15.500

Grand Total
$15.500

Never did receive a bill for my early-February 170-mile drive
(http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2991&p=26051&hilit=Madera#p26051)
where I extensively used the EVgo network, although I've received subsequent statements from them with a zero balance due.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to understand a stand-alone DCQC station economic model as being able to provide any reasonable ROI at this point in history. On the other hand, subsidization by shopping centers or gas station convenience centers is perhaps justifiable (although the world of marketing cost justification has always been a mystery to me).

I believe there is a business model for DCQC systems. But you need to connect with other companies like Burger joints and fast food. What I would recommend is that these fast food sell their $25 dollar gift card and with this card you get a free charge. Think about it, you are running low of charge and need a quick top me up. The charge is free and you can get a quick meal as you wait.

The fast food business sells $25 dollars of product and you feel like you got a free charge. The larger fast food companies (McDonalds's, Starbuck) can also market this as doing right for the environment. It seems a win-win solution.

Dave

:? (hoping another disagreement doesn't pop up for this same topic) :?

I'll give an example of what I do when I quick charge in Cranberry. During my trip yesterday up north, I stopped at McDonald's to get some lunch, then drove over to Eaton to quick charge (eatin' at Eaton :lol: ). Charging to 80% times perfectly with how long it takes to eat some fries, So there is definitely appeal in placing these at fast food joints (normally, an 80% charge is enough in most cases, but I tend to go to near full just to be safe, which takes another 30 minutes. At that point, I'm content to simply watch CaniOn as my car charges). Case in point, my local EVGo network is mostly Dunkin' Donuts. An athletic club up north also has an EVGo unit. The placement of fast food joints is also pretty convenient for charging (just off of highways, one in nearly every town, some even at rest areas), right where we need them.

To make a network successful, one does have to strike a good balance of income and price attractiveness. Personally, I think EVGo's pricing is too high for occasional use, but I understand that there are maintenance and electricity costs as well as the unit cost itself. I would certainly pay $10-15 in an emergency vs. sitting at a level 2 for half the night or worse. My friend's level 2 unit has saved me a couple of times, but a QC would've been much nicer despite the cost (destination charging would've avoided the issue entirely, but that's a different subject). Maybe as time goes on, their prices will fall, or they may end up being the cheapest charge available. Even if they don't change their pricing, larger batteries will automatically make charging by the minute cheaper, as a larger battery can absorb a higher charge rate for longer.

Yep, cheaper is always nice but I'm not too concerned with price here. $7 or $8 to 80% is not that bad. I did do the second session intentionally just to see how it went, normally 80% is enough to get me the 42 miles home from here.

I finally ended my boycott of EVgo this morning, and signed up for the Flex plan. https://www.nrgevgo.com/charging-plans/
I included a missive that their pricing scheme is all wrong, and their fob will serve as a backup plan only. EVen if I'm willing to pay more than the equivalent gasoline cost, that's not the way to grow to a mass market. They didn't offer a free teaser period or any introductory specials, and laid off their very capable field staff before many local stations had even come online.

dniemeyer99 said:
I believe there is a business model for DCQC systems. But you need to connect with other companies like Burger joints and fast food. What I would recommend is that these fast food sell their $25 dollar gift card and with this card you get a free charge. Think about it, you are running low of charge and need a quick top me up. The charge is free and you can get a quick meal as you wait.

The fast food business sells $25 dollars of product and you feel like you got a free charge. The larger fast food companies (McDonalds's, Starbuck) can also market this as doing right for the environment. It seems a win-win solution.

Dave

Except for the fact that their food is definitely not win-win.

Back