Purchased today, on the way home :)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbuilder

I picked up a 2012 with 11k miles today. Left the dealership @ roughly 7pm with about 74 miles to travel and only 70% charge. First stop a Nissan dealer a few miles down the road for a DC fast charge to 80%.

Leg 2 34 miles to a highway rest stop with a level 2 charger. 14 miles on the clock when I pulled in, now charging @ 2.97 Kw. Up to 6 bars and 26 miles on the guess o meter. Time for a nap, then I should be able to eek home :)

Welcome, and congrats.

The fun thing with quick chargers, especially if they are free to use, is that you can unplug the car once it stops at 80%, plug it back in and press start again, and the unit will charge to just under 100%. This takes an extra 20-40 minutes, and is certainly faster than level 2.

After you drive the i-MiEV for a while, you'll likely find that the "Guess-o-meter" is quite accurate if you drive consistently, much more so than the LEAF. The term used here for that gauge is RR, or Range Remaining.

Very similar case to me. I bought 90 miles away, charged at 70 miles away with a view that I would need to charge again, but managed to get home on that charge with 3 miles to spare - albeit with an incredibly light foot, on 50mph roads, not the highways.

Also have a '12 with 11K miles. welcome.

Congrats and welcome to the forum
You sure got the full Ev exposure & experience on your drive home .
Watch out for the onset of the EV driver grin.
Enjoy & many mile with smiles

It was a bit of an adventure. When I arrived at the second station it took a good 10 or 15 minutes of stumbling around and a call to chargepoint to figure out how to activate the station using the app, had no card and first time for me :) .

THEN, the first 17 minute wasted session ramped up to 3,000 watts for a couple minutes and added a mile but then dropped down to almost nothing. It took me a while to realize there was not much there there :shock: . Stopped the session, restarted and all was good.

Monday morning after all night on the stock charger she was full (I did do some driving on Sunday between charges) and showing 69 miles on the RR.

With plenty of electrons in the tank for the workday commute I felt little need to hold back :mrgreen: . After the morning drive in of 7.5 miles I also zipped around campus four times during the day, gave someone a 3 mile demo ride and returned home. Clipped on the charger for an hour or so then dashed out for some takeout for the family dinner. Total miles for the day 32. Currently showing 47 on the RR (been charging for a while again) and expect it'll reach full overnight. Actually, I may twiddle with the timer function on the remote since I don't really need a full charge.

It sounds like a 3/4 full charge every 2nd or 3rd day may be all you need. As you get used to your daily commute you'll figure out how often you need to charge. We very seldom charge unless the gauge shows 8 bars or less and we usually stop charging when it gets to 13 or 14 bars. A full recharge once every month or two to recalibrate the meter and balance the battery pack is a good idea

Don

Until I get a little more comfortable with it, I like to start the morning full or nearly so :cool: . I was off work today, started full with 71 on the RR. Drove 59 miles over the course of the day in 4 separate trips, charging between.

Just put it to bed with 41 on the RR, since I am travelling tomorrow on a weekend road trip in the gas powered NV 200 I will leave it as is till I return on Sunday.

Getting more comfortable. Tuesday I did 26 miles and had 35 or so remaining, had to get it inspected so there was a longer trip in there. Started @73 this morning, did 18 with a lot of a/c and have 45 left. I am not charging tonight, gonna go 2 days between during the week...

If you ever really need to make it home and are not sure if you will, the best strategy is to go 20 to 25 mph. On a full charge you can achieve over 100 miles.

True - Speed is the real range killer. Anything over 40 mph or so and you're really wasting juice pushing that mountain of air that our little box has stacked up in front of it. If there's ever any doubt about your ability to make it to your destination, just slow down

Don

mdbuilder said:
Still had 26 on the clock after day 2, 1 bar under 1/2.
You must do more freeway driving than we do - We seldom get over about 45 on the mostly secondary roads we use. 'Half tank' (8 bars) usually happens with about 40 miles on the RR gauge, even when using moderate amounts of A/C

Don

"Freeway" no, but 45 is considered a moving road block around these parts :).

Once you get out of the neighborhood which is a 1/2 mile of the 7.5 mile commute the speed limit is 50 or 45-55 depending on which road. Traffic generally moves at 50-60. Lot's of other areas even 60 is slow no matter what the sign says, rural state roads...

Ran around the county all day in 3 separate trips totaling 55.2 miles. Ended with 3 bars and 15 miles on the RR. Good practice for a trip back to the dealer next week for an A/C replacement under warranty (3.5 months left on the original 3yr. / 36K mile deal). Dealer is about 73 miles out, there is one charger 1/2 way there so I'll stop for an hour of L2 to be sure...

MDbuilder, it sounds like you have a fairly predictable routine, but don't get too hung up on avoiding 100% SOC. It seems like whanever I decide to skip a charge, something arises that makes me wish I had charged up. Other than 1-2 weeks per year at half-charged storage, my car gets a full charge EVery night and often at mid-day, well over 1200 of 'em so far at over 55,000 miles. I'll try to get an android device again sometime this summer to run Canion, but since the weather warmed up I've seen several 81 RR mornings, so my battery degradation has at least remained 'inside the turtle' and is not affecting the car's practical range.

55K is impressive!

While I'm not all that afraid to charge it often, the during the week usage is not that high per day. If I charge every day it could wind up spending more than 1/2 the time @ 100% charge unless I fiddle with the timer thing every night.

Weeekends usage is higher and sporadic, I have no problem using it hard and charging between trips to be ready for more :D

Back