Car Insurance and Breakdown Cover

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradfordUK

Hi

im getting in readiness to buy a used mitsubishi imiev but are wondering about car insurance and breakdown cover in the UK, my thoughts are to keep my gas guzzler Honda Civic type r and its insurance but some how add the imiev to that policy or add a new policy for the Imev but who would you suggest I use and what kinda of premums should i expect ?

Im terms of breakdown cover and warranty are there any good companys people are using that fully cover breakdown, i currently use green flag but will they cover an imiev i doubt it ? Help please..!!

I bought a used 2012 I-miev with 12,000 miles a month or so ago. I live in Michigan, which has pretty high insurance rates. I called my insurance company, they quoted me 335/yr for full coverage or 33/yr for liability for a FULL YEAR! Of course, this was the "second car" on the policy, which dropped my truck insurance and car both down. My truck was 900/yr, now it is 933/yr for BOTH, 2013 F150 full coverage, 2012 I-miev liability.

Bob

I'm sure there are a few people who think otherwise, but paying for 'breakdown insurance' is almost always a waste of money, which is why there are so many companies trying to sell it to you

In the USA, when you get near the 3 year point on a new iMiEV, you'll get half a dozen offers from companies wanting to sell you an extended warranty - I too wonder if there are any of them who could actually get the car fixed if something should happen. I think they *do* know that the odds are greatly, really, REALLY greatly in their favor - If they can manage to sell 100 policies, maybe something on the order of 1 or 2% will eventually *try* to 'collect' on the policy they paid for

Don

Hey there,

I have just bought my iMiev (bought it from previous owner as it looks like the production has been stopped year ago or so?) and I am looking for the best quality/price brekadown cover option.

There is a lot of misinformation and ads in the web, so I thought I would ask here, on the iMiev forum - are there any companies which have offers specifically for electric cars, or which can offer some sort of discount for having an eletric car?

As I live in UK I think I would be satisfied with option offered by startrescue - https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover

They seem legit, and I am not able to find negative comments about them.

What are your thoughts about it?

I paid £410 fully comprehensive insurance in the UK, with 12 years protected no claims discount. For some reason there are fewer insurers willing to cover EVs in the UK for now, so less competition makes the prices higher. But that's also London, which is high for car insurance.

Breakdown cover: check http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/breakdown-cover ... its all on there.

It appears 'breakdown cover' isn't what I thought it was at all

"Basic cover. It typically means your car will be fixed at the roadside or towed to a local garage. But it won't usually cover you if you breakdown close to your home."

Worst scenario, this just pays to tow your car to the shop - Kinda like AAA coverage over here

"Home start. In addition to basic cover, you will be covered for a problem if your motor won't start at home."

'Covered' as in a free jump start . . . . or what, exactly?

"Onward travel. If your car's kept in a garage for repairs, this generally means you'll get a hire car for up to three days, plus a night's accommodation. It also covers costs if you need to continue by public transport."

Three days of rental car and a free motel night . . . . oh, and bus fare if your car isn't fixed in 3 days

Gee, I hope nobody must pay more than a few bucks a year for this - Unless you're driving a real junker, it doesn't appear you're getting very much 'coverage' - Nothing there that actually pays anything to fix your car

Don

Tell them what you drive, and if they are sharp, they will hang up on you--or sell you a useless policy. Breakdown insurance doesn't work for anything except a "mainstream" car---and even then it's a crapshoot. See what they cover and you will find most of the parts (like the engine and transmission) aren't even in your car. Something similar to a conventional car that runs on alternative fuels doesn't work either. I have had several CNG powered cars and only the manufacturers extended service plan is worth anything on those vehicles. You need to check the fine print on a regular car, on an EV you need to check all the print. You aren't going to find anything out there.

Back