Kill A Watt meter

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithim

Greetings electronauts,

Are any other owners monitoring their electricity usage with a Kill A Watt meter (120 volt application). Level 1.
Recently my meter started to read 140 volts when the car was charging. I unplugged the car and tried it in another outlet without the car plugged into the meter. Same reading.
Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I spoke with the company and it's out of warranty. Problem described as,"out of calibration".
I found the meter handy to monitor wattage usage (instantaneous) and total kwh/charge.

When the Kill-A-Watt reads 140 volts, stick a meter in the other half of the power outlet and see what it reads - Probably 120 give or take 1 or 2

Toss the broken meter and buy another if you still have a need for it - I use mine very infrequently. Once it shows me what's happening (takes about 5 seconds) I remove it from the circuit and save it for another day/purpose

Don

I use TED to monitor my Meepster's electricity usage as well as my general usage throughout the rest of the house. It's very insightful.

The Energy Detective. It's an energy monitoring kit. I really like it. More for geeks who are really anal about tracking their energy footprint! http://www.theenergydetective.com

RobbW said:
The Energy Detective. It's an energy monitoring kit. I really like it. More for geeks who are really anal about tracking their energy footprint! http://www.theenergydetective.com

Clearing throat . . . Geeks . . . well whatever. I would say that TED was one of the best investments I ever made in budget metering tech. I've been able to identify and modify or eliminate waste to the point of saving about 22% per month off the electrical usage per month. I don't think you need to be anal in order to use it in such a way to conserve and then just occasionally check on your solar system performance or your "i" charging consumption for the month.

It's not as simple as it could be to use, so perhaps not for the technology challenged. But a very powerful accurate tool. Once TED was installed the old Kilowatt meter became mostly obsolete.

Aerowhatt

RobbW said:
That's so offensive!

Hey perception is nine tenths of reality for most, so we can all be whatever we want to be. My 19 yr old put on his resume that he is an ace bicycle mechanic, and he wasn't exaggerating. Problem is, he can't adjust a brake properly let alone anything else more involved.

So, you can choose to be a Geek because you use TED.

I can choose not to be a Geek, even though, I use TED.

We are both right! :D

Aerowhatt

Back