Get your kicks on Route 66?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in the iMiEV, but the wife and I spent a couple weeks exploring about 800 miles of it in the Miata several years ago. We drove from Cuba Missouri to Tucumcari New Mexico following the 'original alignment' as much as possible. It takes a good deal of research to find to the original layout in many places, as much of it has been replaced by newer roads which don't go through nearly as many towns. Once you get used to recognizing the distinctive curbs on the original pavement, you'll know you're on the right track. Lots and lots of neat old bridges, motels and gas stations. Once upon a time, it wasn't unusual to find wooden gas stations which had the owners quarters directly above the gas pumps!! There are still two of those buildings in existence, both in Oklahoma and thankfully they are no longer still pumping gas from them. There is one really cool 'Rainbow Bridge' on the original 13 miles of 66 which cuts through the corner of Kansas http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/brush_creek_bridge_cherokee_county.html

Don

I remember taking the trip down Rt 66 when I was 12 with my Mom and sister.
One of my best memories. I also remember driving my Subaru 360 from LA California to New Hampshire in 1972. Doing old 66 in My I-miev would be quite a challenge too...but I am seriously planning it.

I drive on a small part of RT 66 which goes through Lyons, Berwyn and Cicero here in Chicago. There's even a ChargePoint L2 EVSE right in front of the Berwyn Route 66 museum.

That is way cool....I am in Rockford, so I would be starting my drive in Chicago and then head west...thanks for the information!

The Historic Electric Vehicle Foundation's startup museum exhibit is at the Powerhouse Vistors' Center in Kingman, AZ. http://www.hevf.org/route-66-ev-museum/

They are working on electrifying the Route 66 route, and have been a part of the Kingman Route 66 Festival, particularly in working EVs into the theme of "Crossroads of the Past and Future".
http://kingmanarizonaroute66festival.com/

My JB Strubel-built pusher trailer is destined for their permanent display.
I'd encourage any EV-inclined Route 66 fan to get involved.

Thanks jray3 ...I am seriously planning a serious try at Rte 66 in my Imiev, most likely next spring after I retire for the 3rd time. Thanks for the information...it will be a great challenge, lots of L1 charging and many gaps...
I'm glad to see a positive post after being smoked by everyone over at the thermal management forum.

Looks like late March for my Route 66 i-Miev adventure. As expected, the gaps that are most challenging are going West out of Kingman AZ and a large weird gap between St Louis MO and Rolla MO. Anyone here familiar with any (even L1) opportunities on that stretch?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

rkarl89203 said:
Looks like late March for my Route 66 i-Miev adventure. As expected, the gaps that are most challenging are going West out of Kingman AZ and a large weird gap between St Louis MO and Rolla MO. Anyone here familiar with any (even L1) opportunities on that stretch?...
Good fun planning a trip like that! Two additional resources that I use (in addition to the various EVSE locator sites) are RV campground directories and yellow pages listings for welding shops. I've seen laundromats listed on PlugShare in the past but have never tried one.

For example, between St. Louis and Rolla I see that there is a RV campground (with 50A hookup) in Stanton, MO (about halfway between St. Louis and Rolla).
http://koa.com/campgrounds/stanton/

L1, while fine for overnight, would be an awfully painful way to go during the day.

Edit: I recently added another one to my EVSE Adapters box.

Another Edit: You may be able to make Kingman to Needles in one shot (although you may be fighting a headwind). Halfway between them is Yucca which is the hot-climate proving grounds for automobile companies so they may well have a charging station (if you can get in). Going westward, headwinds will be a significant issue for you.

Probably would be for overnight, so L1 might actually work. Forgot about KOA. Not cheap but there. Never thought about welding shops. Its hit and miss in certain areas. For example I know of at least 3 restaurants here in Rockford that let me charge that aren't on plugshare.
I even have an arrangement with the Forest Preserve district to charge, for a fee of course.
The charging infrastructure is there, just not the Quick Charge infrastructure yet.

Seeing as you may be spending a fair amount of time waiting for the i-MiEV to charge, perhaps something like this might work for your cross-country trip. My friend with the Tesla has this trailer - next time I visit her I'll hook up Mitti for a photo-op. Sorry about the photo size, as that's what she has on her blog.

img_57641.jpg

One of the things I am learning and honing are my hypermiling skills. Further research last night shows significant gaps near Gallup, NM and just past Kingman. I am going to contact that Chrysler hot-weather auto proving ground to see what they have, charging-wise. Also I would love to do that Oatman loop, but it's not on Route 66, and there is a pass with hairpin turns.
This may be a challenge of my lifetime. Can't wait to get started! I am going to do full video and fotos on the way....

My mistake. Oatman IS on historic 66....and the proving ground at Yucca doesnt allow charging. There Is a fast food restaurant across the street though.
Planning continues.

Very kool rkarl89203
:D
You've got to share the story with us. definitely a Road Trip of a Lifetime

The Planning and the Adventure -
What a rush
Looking forward to reading your journal
Good luck with all the planning.

The planning continues. Looks like Illinois will be easy. Missouri not as easy but doable.
Oddly enough the area just past Carthage Missouri and on to Amarillo looks like it will be a problem. Looking farther ahead, Gallup NM looks to be a challenge and No good charging infrastructure from there to Flagstaff.
And then there's the Mojave desert....
Looks like ma and pa motels and campgrounds are my friends.
But it can be done!

Longer trips are possible...There is a fellow on Plugshare who is completing a 20 day trip in his
Leaf. 1570 miles, KC to Madison WI and back. I am envious and I can hardly wait for my Rte 66
Adventure. He posted yesterday at the L2 charger in Atlanta, IL. Wow...

Have you started putting together a collection of signs for the back of your i-MiEV? For example:

California or Bust

Electric Car Range Test in Progress

Slow Moving Vehicle reflective triangle (I haven't seen any illuminated ones, but that might help), as I suspect you may have occasions when you'll be trundling along slowly.

After looking at the paucity of CHAdeMO charging stations outside urban areas across the country, for a trip of your magnitude, I would sure be beating the bushes to find the pieces to put some faster charging together (even if you don't want to wire into the high voltage directly):

NEMA 14-50 -->360vdc Charger -->CHAdeMO adapter and plug, as charging at 6-10kW sure beats our built-in 3kW!

Don't remember if I posted this about two Frenchmen who took their i-MiEV across the US, and then some...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...-electric-car-trip-two-french-guys-one-i-miev
http://www.electric-odyssey.com/

Have fun and put some thought into setting up your own blog with photos, but you can always default to this thread. Many of us will be interested in following your adventure.

JoeS said:
NEMA 14-50 -->360vdc Charger -->CHAdeMO adapter and plug, as charging at 6-10kW sure beats our built-in 3kW!
It looks like eMotorWerks has the parts to do this, but it would cost about $4000.

Back