Why does Mitsubishi offer this car only as an Electric?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiterg57

Electric vehicles are not for everyone -- not yet, at least -- particularly in some parts of Canada. When I first read about the Mitsubishi i, my first reaction was: "At last!" I don't like fwd, and I certainly don't like a nose-heavy rear-drive vehicle. Having the motor under the back seat is exactly what I'd been waiting for, all these years, and Mitsubishi was saying that they planned to use the new layout extensively, in their new models! So, what's gone wrong? Now that the i has been revised for North America and for left-hand drive, why can't I buy one as a conventional gasoline or diesel (preferably turbocharged) vehicle with top-notch fuel efficiency?

yeah you are right, unlike the other makes like, honda etc. they must put a diesel or gasoline version, they must have options for the consumers. Anyway I love this car though :D

whiterg57 said:
Electric vehicles are not for everyone -- not yet, at least -- particularly in some parts of Canada. When I first read about the Mitsubishi i, my first reaction was: "At last!" I don't like fwd, and I certainly don't like a nose-heavy rear-drive vehicle. Having the motor under the back seat is exactly what I'd been waiting for, all these years, and Mitsubishi was saying that they planned to use the new layout extensively, in their new models! So, what's gone wrong? Now that the i has been revised for North America and for left-hand drive, why can't I buy one as a conventional gasoline or diesel (preferably turbocharged) vehicle with top-notch fuel efficiency?

I-MIEV is actually a pretty cheep conversion of i-car which in Japan runs 660 cc petrol engine in two versions: naturally aspirated and turbocharged.

:) So they have started as gasoline and discovered that they can take EV market from more slow moving guys like Nissan or Renault in their target markets. Ie in France for example you will not find any Renault ZE range despite heavy advertisements and many many "sales start date". But you have plenty I-MIEVs badge engineered under Pegeout or Citroen brands. They have now announced plug-in SUV which to my knowledge is the first one to market. European name is Outlander, not sure about the US market.

For the States I have no clue what is their sales point. I guess the price. Otherwise you can not compare it to nice Leaf and extremely smart Volt. This is my IMHO. I drive all of these cars on regular basis. Which does not mean that I-MIEV is a bad car. It's very fun to drive but has severe limitations in winter, and very very cheap interior with nothing from digital cars type of instrumentality.

CHAdeMO

Back