Trouble Starting at 12 degrees F

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

This morning was the first time driving Koorz (silver) to work, but I noticed it had some trouble starting. At first, I turned the key to Start and didn't get READY. The RBS and EV warning lights were on. So I turned the key off, turned it back on and tried again. Still wouldn't start, but this time with the ASC lights lit (RBS and EV went out). I clicked to Start again without turning the key off and it did start, but the ASC lights were still on. So I shut the car off, then start it again. Finally it went to READY with no warning lights. Once I got to work, I shut it off and restarted it multiple times, but the issue didn't come back. Maybe it was just protesting the cold? Bear, my white one, has worked flawlessly down to -10 F.

Anybody else experience anything similar? It drove fine all the way to work except for low RR numbers and a rapid decline in charge, but I had the heat on high, so that is to be expected. The car went down to 11 or 12 bars after 10.5 miles of 45 MPH level driving. So, I have it plugged in with the stock EVSE at work.

From another posting
Re: ASC warning and ASC "off" lights come on intermittently

sandange said:
acensor said:
What DOES seem to help , contrary to what another poster in this thread reported, is if I turn the key QUICKLY from dead off to full start (ding) it seems (so far) to never manifest the stuck-on-ASC lights.

We hit temperature down to - 20 C ( -4 F ) here Tuesday morning (2 Dec 2014)

That morning I experienced a group of warning light staying on after spinning the ignition switch too fast, including the ASC .
All returned to normal once I restarted slowly and did not come back once the car was driven during the day.

The only difference is that this time it happened on my 2014 Miev

I guess we have 2 different situations.

This has since happened again to me.
Now I turn the key to on , wait until all the warning lights shut themselves down ( I guess they do a self test) and then go to the start position - for the ready light.
If it fails the first time I do it all over again.

Since yours has been sitting around for a while, you might want to check the 12V starter battery.

The same happened to me this morning. I had the ABS, EPS and the Exclamation mark one.
It stayed on until I parked and restart again. Maybe my car had to adjust to its first -20c degree experience.
according to the owners manual though it says to stop the car and bring it to the dealer if the exclamation symbol appears. Hopefully that wont happen again..

mixmike6 said:
according to the owners manual though it says to stop the car and bring it to the dealer if the exclamation symbol appears. Hopefully that wont happen again..
Going by that, you'd have to go to the dealer every time the remote says Error. :roll: You'll get that when the lawyers write the owner manuals. :lol: Seriously, though, they didn't know of the remote's level 2 issue until after the books were written.

PV1 said:
... ASC lights ... Anybody else experience anything similar? ...
During most of my few error warning light times, I felt that I rushed out of P before READY was lighted. Restarting and waiting for READY works of me.

Warnings also occurred while driving with a spare wheel/tire which turns off the ACS.

-3.1 degrees Fahrenheit in Massachusetts this morning, I had no issues starting the i-MiEV in the morning and moving it to a sunny location to sit for a couple of hours before I ran some errands.

Cacti

Back