Isn't that fix-a-flat canister supposed to be in the car?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

IIRR there's supposed to be a fix a flat inflator canon the car ...pretty sure a saw it...more try sure it was in the pop open compartment on side of hatchback on passenger side. Near where regular charger plugs in on outside.
Is that correct? Or an I looking in the wrong place?

Looked in there yesterday and it's empty.

Car was in for recall on rusty bolts issue about thre weeks ago.
Anyone know if it's likekybkr even possible that that compartment would have been emptied out while dealer dud that recall?

All I can think of is servive tech moght've removed it and forgot to put it back.

Question:
If I can't find t and/or get dealer to replace it, can you think of any compelling reason I should buy from the parts department what would undoubtedly be an unreasonable price for an official replacements, instead of just going to any auto parts store and putting in a standard fix a flat can in there?

Yeah, it's under the rear seat, along with an air compressor and the EV-ECU. There are two white release handles where the front edge of the seat meets the floor. The whole bench only weighs about 5 lbs.

PV1 said:
Yeah, it's under the rear seat, along with an air compressor and the EV-ECU. There are two white release handles where the front edge of the seat meets the floor. The whole bench only weighs about 5 lbs.
Thanks to you and fiddler. I'll look but am sure it'll be there. Should have read the manual. :oops:
I think what got me was that in another car I used to keep a fixaflat can in that hatchback side compartment.
Memory can play funny tricks and meld together things that aren't.
There's some real interesting research out there about how experimenters can plant constructed false memories in subjects even after pre warning the subjects that is the intent of the experiment.... And have the subject swear "yes, I did see a couple sitting on that bench when we took that walk around the lake." When no such couple existed. From an interesting program on "Scientific American Presents" with Alan Alda a couple if years ago.

By the way.. Has anyone here ever used that fixaflat thing?

Ok, so I'm driving from a friend's and the TPMS light comes on. After stopping, it looks like I have a nail with a slight leak, so I stop at a gas station and fill it up (with air!). It continues to leak. Discount Tire is closed, the Mitsubishi dealer is closed, I make it home. Shortly thereafter the tire is flat. So I pull out the manual and follow the directions as to fixing a flat tire, which works just fine. The compressor/air pump actually worked great. Its sort of like a fix-a-flat, but according to the local dealer the sealant is supposed to be different in that its not supposed to harm the TPMS (but not guaranteed). This should be explored. We later have the flat fixed at Discount Tire for free. All is well until I call the dealer and get the replacement price for the sealant - $151.00, and 5 days to replace. Ouch.

So it was easy to use and did work, but its not cheap.

Alternatives?

How about just a can of fix-a-flat at NAPA or any WalMart or other auto section?

Since the OEM sealant isn't guarenteed to not harm the pressure detector anyway, why pay $500 for it.

Even if the generic fix-a-flat ruins the detector...
A) All of us have survived for years without pressue detectors in our tires ;-)
B) Replacing the detector shouldn't cost more than the OEM fix-a-flat....EVEN if a generic fix-a-flat did ruin it.

I always keep a can or two of generic fix a flat in my cars. If I have a flat, I am not about to uninstall the rear seat to get at it. Fix a flat has bailed me out numerous times. It does not ruin tires. They can be plugged or patched after using it. It does not normally ruin the pressure detectors in tires either.

It's amazing the misinformation certain service stations try to get away with. Not too long ago, when I was on the road, I pulled into a Costco garage to plug a tire that had a slow leak, and when they took it apart and saw that I had used fix a flat, they turned me away. They would not fix the tire. They said I had ruined it. I had them put my donut spare on and made it home alright. The next morning, I took the tire to my regular mechanic and he patched it for me, and it has been running fine for six months now. And the pressure sensor is working.

FWIW, I just picked up a can of of fix-a-flat at at a Knetch auto supply that in big read letters on it says "Tre sensor safe."

Cost less than $8. Think I migh use it instead of the underseat one.... And certainly would replace the underseat one with this before I'd pay $500 for an OEM replacement

Back