Rust on brand new 2014 i-MiEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmike6

Is it normal my brand new i-MiEV 2014 that I've now had for 2 weeks already has signs of rust on it?
I didn't even have a chance to get it rust proofed yet. Should I tell my dealer about this or is it normal ?? :? :?

Rotors and transaxles definitely normal. Remember these cars spend their first week on a boat in the Pacific.It's not like rust on the body panels where the metal's so thin it goes straight through, the transaxles are sold.

I'm not sure on where the other pictures are. One looks like a clip over the shifter cable.

As already noted the brake rotors on all cars will have surface rust on them. Its raw exposed metal that is being heated and cooled. The face surface is continuously being cleaned by the friction of the brake pads on the surface but the edges will attract light surface rust. It's little more than cosmetic.

The inner drive shaft CV again is nothing more than cosmetic. That said you wouldn't see that surface rust on say a late 80's or 90's Honda even after 30 years. They went the extra mile and components had surface treatments, anodizing, painting or the like to keep things looking fresh.

The brackets around the welds that the paint hasn't adhered properly and it looks like paint as fallen off or stone chips have exposed raw metal. Again not ideal but hey that's how they do things now days. A light dusting of paint. Perhaps not even any primer. That said over the life of the car it will be nothing more than cosmetic.

Kurt

Ok good thanks guys for your answers.
Would any of you recommend an antitrust proofing place or product I should use to protect the underbody of my car? I read waxing the car regularly is good to prevent rust is also but is there any truth to that? I wanna keep my car for as long as possible and survive these harsh Canadian winters.

Back