Just got back from a week in Southern California, most of that time spent in San Diego. I would like to compare my observations of the various EV’s I saw versus what is seen out here in the East Coast.
• So many Tesla’s that I lost count. On almost every trip on an interstate or “main road” I would see a Tesla.
• Plenty of Chevy Volts. It seemed that there were _many_ more than I recall from even 6 months ago. I did hear radio ads specific to $199 Volt lease deals, so the car was being pushed. The ads appear to be working.
• Also many Nissan LEAFs, which was not surprising. I’d say it was nearly a tossup between Volts and LEAFs. TV ads were running for the LEAF, same ones I have been seeing on our local TV here. But they seemed to be running more often.
• Several Ford C-Max Energies seen. Probably, I saw a few every day. I think I have seen 3 here in the Philadelphia area over the last year in total.
• Saw 3 Fiat 500EV’s, which was kind of fun. None of them live in PA, though.
• Saw my first (and only) I-Miev in San Diego, parked at a 7/11. I tried to ID the owner, until my son gave me the evil eye and I gave up on that. I would have enjoyed speaking to a fellow I-Miev owner.
• After I figured that I would not see one (it was our last day in San Diego) I saw a BMW I3 drive by on the I-8. Nice looking color, grey black and metallic blue, if I recall. Looked pretty nice to me, so I don’t know what all the negative fuss is about the car’s looks. Also, didn’t seem as small as I expected it to be, after reading many reviews of the car.
• Saw, almost certainly, a KIA SOUL EV. It was driving in the HOV lane with only 1 driver, in the opposite direction. This was a blue car with white roof, and I “think”that only the EV version has this color scheme. Too bad I only saw it in passing as I would have liked to see it up close.
• Didn’t see a Toyota Rav4 EV, or a Ford Focus Electric.
• Naturally, quite a bit better EVSE infrastructure. Lots of “EV Charging Station” signs around. Also, plenty of those spaces were ICE’d!
• Overall, I was impressed by the EV saturation. Hope that we get the same results(in time)out here.