Funny noise...

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjpod

The other day, I pulled away from my parking spot at the house, and heard a bit of a bang under the right front wheel. And as I let the car continue rolling, I heard a bit of a rubbing sound that repeated rhythmically as the wheels turned. The car had been sitting maybe 24 hours.

The bang was a moderate sound,...sounded like a front end part pulling apart. the rubbing sounded like a brake pad rubbing. I took it to my local mechanic. As I drove it there, about a mile, the rubbing sound went away in the first few hundred feet. He inspected the undercarraige and the brakes very well, in my presence. We found nothing. Although I had hit some potholes over the winter, I hit nothing recently.

Any thoughts? Anybody else? My theory is the brake pad was stuck, and when it released it made the banging sound, and then the pad was so close to the rotor, it rubbed a while. There was no unusual wear on the rotors. This has not recurred now for almost a week.

We back out of the garage and turn around in the middle of the driveway so we're not backing out onto our busy street. Every so often when the wheels are turned fully to the left, we get the same rubbing noise you're talking about. Initially, I thought it was the tire rubbing on a piece of the plastic inner fender (that's exactly what it sounds like) but when I get out and check, there's nothing close to the tire

Doesn't do it all the time . . . . once a week or so, but it's a mystery for sure

Don

Did it rain or did you wash the car (anything to get the brakes wet)? Since the brakes are used so lightly on the i-MiEV, if they get moisture on them and sit, the brakes will rust stuck. The bang you heard was the rotor breaking free from the brake pads. My car does it all the time if it rains, if I wash the car, or even on very humid nights.

The scraping noise is the spot on the rotor where the pads were stuck. Rust builds up a little around the spot and is worn off as you drive.

If you have driven through rain and are now on dry roads, right before you get home, drag your brakes to make sure they are dry and rust free. Though you are responsible for safety, performing at your own risk, and not wrecking, putting the car in neutral makes this easier.

I've never heard the 'bang' associated with the brake pads - Our car doesn't get wet that often . . . . it's garaged 100% of the time it's not being used

I'm also pretty certain the rubbing noise I occasionally hear has nothing to do with the brakes. In my case, it only happens after backing out of the garage and then when we begin moving forward with the wheels turned all the way to the left - The brakes haven't yet been touched at that point. Sometimes it rubs for more than a full wheel revolution, but as soon as I turn the wheels a little so they are no longer full left, it stops

Don

Thanks for the insights...

Usually, I back out of my driveway, but this particular night, I had parked at the curb and pulled away going forward.

I don't remember if it rained that night. I have had the brake pad rubbing experience before with other vehicles when there was heavy rain and then I let the car sit for a few days. Never had the bang noise before. It was pretty loud. Thought for sure a ball joint had pulled out of its socket.

Well, so far I have been driving for a few days, and no recurrence.

There is also an ABS test when first starting out. It happens at 7 or 8 MPH. This might be the slight thump you hear.

Back