jaraczs

Re: Practical solutions for extending cold weather range

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Don wrote:Harbor Freight has their little $20 cigarette lighter heater/defroster on sale for half price. For just ten bucks I think I'll grab one of those and sit it up on the dashboard with some Velcro and see if that doesn't solve my winter fogging problems. It's only 100 watts . . . .
Don

Thanks for sharing, Don. I think this type of electric heater is very good alternative for windows defogging. Last Winter, I noticed that fogging is a problem at certain temperature range (and humidity). When the temperature dropped to 15F, I did not have problem with fogging nor ice-ing.
Stan

Barbagris

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 pm

A nice picture:

It's about a Webasto "High Voltage Heater".

http://www.motorpasionfuturo.com/coches ... or-consumo

Sorry, the article is in spanish, but is another kind of an electric resistance, I think. But I like the infrared photo! :lol:
...learning...

FiddlerJohn

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Great IR image. Thanks for posting.

Notice the front DRL, P13W (PSX26W), lights. 2x16W=32 Watts.

The roof and windows have a lot of heat escaping, but the doors look cool.

Don
Site Moderator

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:11 am

Following the Webasto link in Barbagris' post I did some reading on the Webasto Thermo Top Evo 4 parking heater . . . . you can Google it and read about it in English

This sounds like the perfect addition to a cold climate iMiEV . . . . if you can find some vendor who will sell you one. I kinda suspect Webasto purposefully doesn't do business in the USA, probably due to our federal liability laws

Anyway, the Evo 4 parking heater is for small cars and the heater has a dual output of 4.2/2.6 KW and a fuel consumption of only .17 liter every 20 minutes in the high mode and 40% less than that when running in the low mode. If you installed a 1 gallon diesel tank, you'd have heat for a couple weeks

The unit measures 8.5 by 3.6 by 5.8 inches, so it should fit under the hood with a little juggling - I *think* the installations in Norwegian cars fit it under the hood somewhere
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

jaraczs

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 am

Don wrote:Following the Webasto link in Barbagris' post I did some reading on the Webasto Thermo Top Evo 4 parking heater . . . . you can Google it and read about it in English

This sounds like the perfect addition to a cold climate iMiEV . . . . if you can find some vendor who will sell you one. I kinda suspect Webasto purposefully doesn't do business in the USA, probably due to our federal liability laws

Anyway, the Evo 4 parking heater is for small cars and the heater has a dual output of 4.2/2.6 KW and a fuel consumption of only .17 liter every 20 minutes in the high mode and 40% less than that when running in the low mode. If you installed a 1 gallon diesel tank, you'd have heat for a couple weeks

The unit measures 8.5 by 3.6 by 5.8 inches, so it should fit under the hood with a little juggling - I *think* the installations in Norwegian cars fit it under the hood somewhere

Don, we can get parking heater from both, Webasto and Espar.
I have provided update to this topic in the parallel thread:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13257#p13257
... waiting for my Espar unit.
Stan

RobertC

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Barbagris wrote:A nice picture:

It looks like the heat is pouring out of the windshield, and the roof is also warm.
Heat rises, right?
Has anyone insulated the headliner yet?
Pictures? Instructions?
”Red” - 2018 Red Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Tesla Model 3 - 11/27/18
“Blue” - 2018 Kinetic Blue Chevy Bolt Premier with QC - 5/13/18
"Purple" - 2012 Raspberry Metallic ES with QC - 4/10/2013

Kuuuurija

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 am

What is the actual range one can expect from the iMiev if there is below -20 degrees Celsius outside? Or such frost renders electric cars completely unusable? Any practical experiences?
http://www.maaleht.ee/news/tarbija/auto/sotsiaaltootaja-meil-on-rangelt-keelatud-halvustada-elektriautosid.d?id=63924045

Don
Site Moderator

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 am

Kuuuurija wrote:What is the actual range one can expect from the iMiev if there is below -20 degrees Celsius outside? Or such frost renders electric cars completely unusable?
The actual range you can get from any EV even on a warm, sunny day varies greatly, depending on how and where you drive - Faster speeds, uneven terrain, rapid acceleration and failure to maintain steady speeds all contribute to shorter range. One driver might get 150 Km while another might not get 75 Km

Extreme cold also shortens range, but it doesn't make EV's useless in cold climates - iMiEV's are quite popular in Norway I'm told and we have many owners in the USA and Canada who live in places where it snows in the winter

As to how far you could drive in your climate with your driving habits . . . . no one could tell you that. If you have a longer commute where you can only recharge at home, an EV might not be the best, but if you can recharge at both ends of your commute, you can probably go 75 to 100 Km each way - It depends a lot more on how you drive than how cold it is

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

Kuuuurija

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:41 am

If somebody has used iMiev in frosty (below -20 C) condition, please tell us what was the actual range you got! I have heard, that it is less than 50 km. Probably 75...100 km, as Don suggests, is very, very unlikely!
Last edited by Kuuuurija on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

MLucas

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:41 am

Don wrote:
As to how far you could drive in your climate with your driving habits . . . . no one could tell you that. If you have a longer commute where you can only recharge at home, an EV might not be the best, but if you can recharge at both ends of your commute, you can probably go 75 to 100 Km each way - It depends a lot more on how you drive than how cold it is

Don

That's the best advice for cold winter driving. I live in a moderate area for winter. I do see a decrease in range mostly to heater use but adding in slicker roads and snow plowing does decrease the range. I usually see 1-2kw more usage in winter than I do in summer for my daily commute. The picture above shows i-MiEVs buried in snow, not the best situation for an EV. Keeping them garaged will keep the batteries warm and don't charge until you need to use the car. I start charging 4 hours before I need the car in the morning, the charging process raises the temperature a bit in the batteries helping to keep them at an optimal tempurature for power delivery.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”