gmarcucio

Has anyone car dolly towed i-MiEV?

Sun May 11, 2014 7:14 am

I'm going to need to tow my I-MiEV 200 miles. Has anyone dolly towed their I-MiEV before. Anything I should be aware of? how does it handle on the dolly driving down the road. Like the manual says, I plan on driving the rear wheels up onto the dolly with front wheels on the road. securing the steering wheel in the straight ahead position and put the vehicle in neutral with the key in the ACC position. Any input would be appreciated.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: Has anyone car dolly towed i-MiEV?

Sun May 11, 2014 1:01 pm

I, too, am interested in this, as I would also tow the car backwards with the rear wheels on the dolly. Two questions:
1) What is the reason for having the car in Neutral (and thus the key in the ACC position)?
2) How exactly do you plan on immobilizing the steering wheel?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Don
Site Moderator

Sun May 11, 2014 2:03 pm

I don't understand either. With the rear wheels strapped to the dolly, leaving the shifter in Park would make the most sense and then no need for key to be in the ignition at all - The steering wheel would then be locked straight

I've dolly towed other RWD cars 'backwards' and had no issues at all - should work fine

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

gmarcucio

Sun May 11, 2014 6:00 pm

JoeS wrote:I, too, am interested in this, as I would also tow the car backwards with the rear wheels on the dolly. Two questions:
1) What is the reason for having the car in Neutral (and thus the key in the ACC position)?
2) How exactly do you plan on immobilizing the steering wheel?

I'm thinking the car has to be in neutral so the steering wheel is not locked and can be positioned straight. When the key is off the steering wheel locks but you might not be able to lock it in the true straight ahead position. Unlocked you can steer it straight ahead and then secure it with a tie strap or possibly with the seat belt, etc. When auto techs do a wheel alignment they never use the steering wheel lock to hold the wheel centered for the alignment. They have the wheel unlocked and use a spring loaded device pressing on the seat and up against the steering wheel to hold it. Same idea.

siai47

Sun May 11, 2014 7:55 pm

They might be worried about damage to the parking pawl in the reduction gear if you leave it in "park". Even on a trailer, the car wants to move around a little as the straps stretch or move putting a lot of strain on the pawl. I would leave it in neutral and set the parking brake when I had the car secured to the dolly. Also be sure to secure the steering wheel with a strong strap so it cannot move. The car being towed backwards will have negative caster due to the angle it sits on because the rear wheels are elevated. This causes the steer tires to want to do anything except stay straight.

Don
Site Moderator

Sun May 11, 2014 8:04 pm

To each his own. If the parking brake is set, I don't see how you could damage the parking pawl - It will usually put up with being shifted into Park when the vehicle is in motion and towing wouldn't represent nearly that kind of shock

For me, the big reason to use Park would be th ability to lock the steering straight with the key - Gotta be more secure than straps or seatbelts

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

siai47

Mon May 12, 2014 6:17 am

Does anybody's I-MiEV lock "straight with the key"? I have two of them and both lock the column with the steering wheel about 90 degrees from center. Just a question.

BarryP

Mon May 12, 2014 11:00 am

gmarcucio wrote:I'm going to need to tow my I-MiEV 200 miles.

Also AAA will give you a premier member tow up to 200 miles.
Bought iMiev June 6, 2013, Now leaving electrons in my wake @ ~1000miles/month
Original owner Prius 2002 275,000+ miles
Original owner Prius 2009 125,000+ miles

pbui19

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:57 pm

hello - I am thinking of dolly tow 350 miles distance. So is it general consensus that it is ok ? what is the longest any one has dolly towed the iMiev ? any comment and experience is very appreciated.

thanks, Paul

iwatson

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:25 pm

pbui19 wrote:hello - I am thinking of dolly tow 350 miles distance. So is it general consensus that it is ok ? what is the longest any one has dolly towed the iMiev ? any comment and experience is very appreciated.

Sorry Paul, I have not dolly towed my i-miev, so I can't help you there! I have given it some thought though. In the murky future I would like to own a motor home and I think the i-miev would be a good car to tow since it's so light. It's electric range is adequate for local excursions once the motor home is set up at a campground.

Of course since the i-miev is rear wheel drive it would have to be dolly towed backwards with the drive wheels off the ground. This would put the smaller front wheels on the ground, plus you'd have to find a way keep the steer tires from turning. Perhaps a u-haul store would know a way to do that. If you're planning on rent a tow dolly, it might be easier to rent a car trailer that gets all 4 wheels on the trailer.
2012 Silver Mitsubishi iMiev ES with QC
2012 Raspberry Mitsubishi IMiev SE Premium with QC
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt Premium
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 LE
2001 Buick LeSabre custom
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LX

Blink 240V EVSE

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”