Using electrician's tape ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beespeckled

My car charges outside in the elements, no garage or carport. I was noticing at the top of the charge indicator where the cord is attached through the unit, there looks to be a slight gap. So, I'm thinking I should wrap that area in electricians tape as a precaution, which would also add a bit additional waterproofing?

I assume you are talking about the EVSE---the box that plugs into the wall outlet. There should be no "gaps" around either cord or any of the indicator lamps. The unit is sealed to keep moisture out. If you have any gaps you should have the unit serviced. Until then, some tape should get you by.

I had to take the vehicle to the dealer today to pickup and get the spare key programmed. I had them check my EVSE re: my concerns, and all is well. The cord insulation cover was pulling up, but fits snugly when pushed back into place. I hang the EVSE on a hook when using to reduce the possibility of stress.

A handy way to mount the EVSE and yet have it easily removable

There are 6 recessed holes on the back of the unit for the screws that hold the brick together. The holes are pretty deep and slightly tapered. If you measure the width between the top pair of holes carefully, you can put a pair of long sheetrock screws in a piece of 1 x 6 wood a little to hold the unit - Cut your wood a little longer than the brick. Leave the screws sticking out of the wood an inch or more (25 to 30mm). Mount your piece of wood on the wall with 1 or 2 screws into a wall stud and the brick will hang from the screws and still be easily removable. I've never had mine fall off, but if you get industrious, you could do this using 4 or even 6 screws if you measure very carefully. If the screw heads are the correct diameter and you have left them sticking out the proper amount, they will wedge themselves in the tapered holes on the EVSE and it will hang there quite securely

Don

Back