1 year check up

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eMaS

Anybody know what is done at the 1 year check up? What have been the costs for other?
How much is a cabin filter replacement?
Can it be done at any Mitsubishi iMiEV dealer?
thanks

I haven't done the one year check. I'm not sure they even know what to do.

You could replace the cabin air filter your self it takes one minute. Just release the top of the glove box and pull the old filter out and put the new one in. Note the direction of the air flow arrow.

8492852711_58e5855a57.jpg

8493953644_96f7d63915.jpg

The dealer wants like $60 for the air filter; however there are a bunch of these air filters on ebay: (just search for cabin air filter 7803A012)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=cabin+air+filter+7803A012&_sop=7&_rdc=2

I replaced my cabin air filter with the OEM part manufactured by Mitsubishi.
The part number is 7803A012. There are several Mitsubishi parts sellers on the internet that sell the filter for just under $40.00, plus shipping.
The correct installation of the filter is shown on the following picture (note the direction of the arrows).
I checked the air flow with the filter out to verify the direction of air flow.
KDQhgLj.jpg

Actually the air flow must be up because it would not blow out the vents otherwise. Its easy to verify this by putting your hand where the air filter goes and feel the air flow direction.

It's not really needed to change the air filter. You can also just blow all dirt out, if it's not to dirty.

I have done a 1 year checkup and it was a funny experience that I do not wish to repeat.

1. First when I called up to make an appointment for it I asked what will the service include. They said, well it should be a service 'B' if its one year. I said, OK, but what's in a service 'B'. They said: "Oh, the usual such as oil and filter change, all lube checks etc." Then I said, wait a minute, its electric I don't need oil change. Then they said, never mind, just bring it in and we figure out what needs to be done.

2. When I got there with the car I asked again, what will be involved and went through the repeat of the above conversation with the oil change. Then they took the car in "to check everything on it". After the check, they came back saying that they found my break pads being rusty due to low usage and they wanted to machine them to get rid of the rust. Unfortunately I allowed them and paid a total of ~$250, from which $120 was the charge for the standard "service B" -- which includes the oil & filter change which obviously was not needed in my car.

3. After the service, I discovered that my car has "developed" an annoying screeching sound every time I used the break for a few weeks, obviously due to the machining of the break pads.

So in summary I paid $250 for nothing useful, but got an annoying side-effect that lasted a few weeks.

This was my personal experience, of course, YMMV.

Machine the brake pads?! How about just jamming on them once in a while. What a rip! I'm sorry they did that to you.

I did get a little concerned the other day. Since it was warm out, I had the window down, radio off, listening outside. I happened to hear a noise that could have been a wheel bearing going dry. Turns out it was rust on part of my rotor from sitting all day with a little moisture that morning.

alohart said:
Please add your location to your profile and the name of the dealer who ripped you off so that others can avoid that dealer.

I added my location and as far as I know there is only one Mitsubishi dealer in my city:
http://www.brampton-mitsubishi.ca/

BTW, I had another negative experience with them, described in this thread:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1869

jjlink said:
Actually the air flow must be up because it would not blow out the vents otherwise. Its easy to verify this by putting your hand where the air filter goes and feel the air flow direction.
The two new i-MiEV's that I purchased both had the cabin air filter installed with the air flow as down. I put my hand in where the air filter is and verified that the air flow direction is down.
KDQhgLj.jpg

I hovered over the tech at my 1-year (and only) checkup, and data on his dumbed-down terminal on battery pack health was less useful than what we can see with CanIon. The annual checkup has been removed from the maintenance schedule by Mitsu and replaced with 'drive to two bars or less and then recharge to 100% in a single session'.
A few of my LEAFy friends were burned or nearly so by dealers flushing the brake system after one year!

There is carbon infused with the filter, so even when clean, the top looks dirty. I pulled mine a couple of months ago when adding my LED dome lights, and there were a bunch of seed pods that came out of the trees. How they got there, I have no idea. Not as bad as the leaves that used to get caught in the fan of the Cavalier, though. :roll:

My i-MiEV needed a new transaxle seal after my first-year checkup. The part apparently takes a while to come in to the USA, but they said it'd be fine to continue driving it until the seal arrived (which it now has).

nsps said:
My i-MiEV needed a new transaxle seal after my first-year checkup. The part apparently takes a while to come in to the USA, but they said it'd be fine to continue driving it until the seal arrived (which it now has).

I'm in the same boat, although with a much more lousy dealer...
I brought my i-MiEV for its one-year service last month to the closest Mitsubishi dealer to my house (a certified i-MiEV dealer). Pointed out that there are recalls outstanding that need to be done and that I had noticed a leak from where the passenger side rear half-shaft exits the diff housing. They said they will need the car overnight, so I called them at noon the next day to see how they were doing. 'It's all great' I was told, 'no leak, that's just condensation form the battery'. What??? Oily condensation that drips once in a while on my driveway and leaves a stain??? And I've never heard of condensation from the battery either.
About an hour before I said I will pick up the car that afternoon, I got a call from them: 'Sir, we have found a leak from the rear axle, we need to order a seal and it will take a few weeks to get here, but you can drive the car in the meantime.'. As I picked up the car they also said 'by the way, those recalls are not done either, we need parts for those and it takes weeks to get them'.
Now my i-MiEV is back at that dealership. They were promising to have it ready in one day, it is now the third day and they are still waiting for an ABS sensor, which they admitted to breaking when they were fixing the axle seal (they claim it was seized on, in a one year old car?). If I want a replacement car they can arrange a rental, ICE of course, and no, they will not pay for gas. No thank you I said, I'll use my bikes in the meantime (I also own a motorbike and I use my pedal bicycles often).
Long story short, I will try to find a more competent dealer if I ever need dealer service in the future. Still keeping my fingers crossed I will be able to pick it up this afternoon.

Picked up the car from the dealer yesterday morning. Paid $225 for the annual service, and it did not include the cabin air filter, just 'tire rotation' and 'brake inspection'. They did all the recalls, the vacuum pump is super quiet now. They replaced the oil seal on the passenger side axle, and the ABS sensor they busted while doing the axle seal.
Unfortunately, when I got to work, I still had trans oil dripping on the pavement, probably about 20 drops by the time the car cooled down. Same when I got home. I suspect its not the axle seal, but a vent tube that is blocked and as the axle warms up pressure builds up it and causes the oil to be forced out through the seals. Does anyone know where the vent tube is located? I really don't want to take the car back to the dealer for fear of them breaking something else while trying to fix this.

Yes, it was $199 + tax for the annual service. They did not even reset the service indicator, it was still showing the wrench when I picked up the car. Have to go back anyway, the rear seal now leaks more than ever, a small puddle of oil under the car every time I park. Really great car, but the dealer is pretty awful and expensive. The only thing they did for my $199 that I can see is clean and lube the friction brakes.

Back